Beginning of the Season Look at the Ottawa Lynx

Birdman

With a new season brings new beginnings and that is especially true for the teams of the VHLM, the place where all the fresh young faces of new players come to test their mettle to make it into the majors. The Ottawa Lynx are a hopeful team with a strong mix of veterans and bright rookies ready to grow to meet the challenge of this new season. I'll start this review off from the back with the goalie and work towards the forwards.

Goalie - Alex Parise

The Ottawa Netminder starts this season with 175 TPE to his name and he is ready to use it. In 8 starts with the Minnesota Storm the rookie Parise put up a respectable  0.838 Save Percentage and an average of 3.34 Goals Against. Not too shabby for a brand new goalie just breaking into the league. Size is the name of his game and he intends to use it. Parise is 6'8" and he makes the net seem tiny by comparison. He can use his size to cover high angles in the corners while not leaving other areas exposed. The only shortcoming to this play style is speed. If opposing teams can get Parise on the move laterally then it will be harder for him to pit his size to good use.

Defense - New Player, Julia Waffles, and Ben Aky

It is clear that when Ottawa was building this roster that they thought from the rear forward because the d-corps is tight. All three players that they currently have are above 180 TPE and they mean business. Last season, New Player, Julia Waffles, and Ben Aky combined for 132 points and they aren't going anywhere. Their main scoring threat here is Julia Waffles who is an elite shooter from the point who makes opposing forwards think twice about blocking a shot. New Player is a playmaker who can expertly create options anywhere on the ice. Ben Aky is more conservative offensively but is a perfect mirror for his teammates and can support the back end. A few waiver signings to add depth and this defensive group is gonna be elite.

Forwards - Armani Calamari, John Baard, and Zen Raider

On the offensive side of the puck we have three stand out players that make up the top line of this squad. The centerpiece is Armani Calamari, who was a waiver pick up last season for Philadelphia. While he had little time to develop last season, he has worked hard over the offseason and is ready for top line minutes with his new squad. Next we have the wings with Zen Raider and John Baard, These players are both incredibly good at what they do. Zen Raider is a hard-hitting physical player who can create space and make opposing skill players think twice about getting fancy with the dangles. Baard is a player that has the ability to string a pass through the most impossible angles and create plays from anywhere on the ice. Other notable forwards are Manny Chuclavi and Jacob Costello who will most likely man the wings on the second line.

P.S. Happy Birthday VHL!!

1 hour ago, benaky said:

great post but where is xue piao bing bong?

My guess is instead of writing a whole media spot about our forwards he chose to write about the top forwards to make it a smoother article.

Well done @Birdman

Edited by 16z

4 hours ago, benaky said:

great post but where is xue piao bing bong?

What @16z said. If I had more time to write another 500 words then I would have gone more in depth. 

3 hours ago, 16z said:

My guess is instead of writing a whole media spot about our forwards he chose to write about the top forwards to make it a smoother article.

Well done @Birdman

Is xue piao bing bong not a top forward 🤨

Review: Great article. I like how you talked about each position in depth, and talked about the players at those positions. Format is good, bolded headings make it easy to understand and differentiate between the sections. Great job @Birdman and #GOLYNXGO

10/10