Ideas for a New VLH League

Will3

With the VHLE first days forth comming, a light bulb lit up in my head. Places in Aisa deserve VHL teams. From this single wild dream sprung into the thought of an entire league unlike anything before. One that spans three continents and thousands of miles. This is the Victory Hockey League of Development.

What is the VHLD

The VHLD is a hockey league designed to support the growth of players at different skill levels. It consists of three conferences each set in a different continent. There is the African Coference, the Asian Coference, and the Oceania Coference (made up of teams Australia, New Zealand, and other islands). My initial plans concluded with six teams per conference but two teams per conference would be ready for the inaugural season. It would expand hockey to countries like Japan, India, Kenya, Australia, and other untraditional hockey markets. So many team names were developed in the process of creating this league. Here is a link to a poll where you can vote on your favorite team name and tell me exactly what you think. 

Who  would play in the VHLD

The purpose of the VHLD is to develop player skills and to make scouting easier. To achieve this goal, there are four type of players able to play in this league. The first are players sent down from the VHLM. Just like the the relationship between the AHL and ECHL in real life, any player in the  not receiving ice time can be sent down to receive more attention in the VHLD. It also helps cash strapped teams The second type of player in the VHLD is free agents in between contracts. Any VHLM player without a contract may choose to join a VHLD team to play while waiting. VHLM GMs can freely sign any VHLD player without a contract. Juniors are the third type of player in VHLD. This allows juniors who join in season to learn, develop, and get noticed much like the JS in the off-season. Also considering having the VHLD playoffs start after the VHLM Draft to futher support scouting efforts. Finally, there are inactive players with contracts. Thus, these players are able to fade away without costing team money. These four different types of hockey player ensure a diverse talent pool for the VHLD.

How would the VHLD be different.

There are some different that should be explained. There is no draft in VHLD. All player choose their team similar to the Junior Showcase. When at full size, the VHLD Playoffs would consist of the top two teams in each conference with the next two best teams being wildcards.

In Conclusion

I know there are many smaller rules that make up a league. But this is my ideas for the future of the VHL. I know most of this is unlikely to ever become real, but dreams move the world forward. There are some people I must shout out for helping me develop ideas. Thank you Dil, Banackock, and, most importantly 16z. Your assistance in providing ideas made this article possible.

Critical Information Going Foward

Will3 here, with some changes that will make future articles make sense. First, a name change. To be honest, I was struggling with a name for my league even as I was writing the article. While VHLD is ok, I believe a better option has been found. The league shall now be called the Victory Hockey League of the World or VHLW for short. This is because what I created takes place over such a wide area, naming it any thing else seems ridiculous. The VHLW will be used in all articles going forward. Secondly, fictional different. While the VHLD focused on development similar to the real world ECHL, the VHLW will be similar to the real world KHL. What that means will be discussed in future articles. Lately, plans for the future. I plan on writing future articles explaining cities that should be considered for VHL teams. I also plan to introduce the team of the VHLW by conference and breaking down the reasons for the team names. And the article explaining the similarities of the VHLW to the KHL is also on its way. Please look forward to it.

Edited by Will3

I like the idea for itself. But I would change a few things. First, I would leave it with eight teams. Otherwise there are too many teams. And I would take Africa out too. Apart from South Africa I have never seen a team that plays ice hockey there. I would distribute the eight teams to the following countries. Australia (two teams) and New Zealand (In football, Australia has also been assigned to the Asian group, as they are otherwise under-challenged.) Plus Japan, South Korea (also two teams each) and Taiwan. What would you say about the following team names?

Brisbane Bandits

Canberra Cavaliers

Wellington Rams

Seoul Squits

Busan Zombies

Tokyo Drifters

Sapporo Samurai

Taipei Tigers

On 9/22/2021 at 6:24 AM, Morcar80 said:

I like the idea for itself. But I would change a few things. First, I would leave it with eight teams. Otherwise there are too many teams. And I would take Africa out too. Apart from South Africa I have never seen a team that plays ice hockey there. I would distribute the eight teams to the following countries. Australia (two teams) and New Zealand (In football, Australia has also been assigned to the Asian group, as they are otherwise under-challenged.) Plus Japan, South Korea (also two teams each) and Taiwan. What would you say about the following team names?

Brisbane Bandits

Canberra Cavaliers

Wellington Rams

Seoul Squits

Busan Zombies

Tokyo Drifters

Sapporo Samurai

Taipei Tigers

I say th there are some good suggestions here. Not only for team names but for the league itself. Thank you for all the wonderful ideas. Now seems like a good time to announce that I will be critically analyzing many of the team names in an article that will be written later next week.  Look forward to it.

Also I will auto correct to Seoul Squids because what is written has some bad meanings.

Edited by Will3