Setting up for the Dustin Funk Trophy

scoop

So what if I finished outside of the top ten in rookie points. I don't care. That's what I wanted anyway. I didn't want to win the Stolzschweiger; I've done that before. (Okay, I shared it, but it counts!). I have never won the Funk Trophy, though. With a 10-goal, 29-point rookie season, I'm setting myself up for a great improvement in my sophomore season. My goal is, and definitely has always been, to be named the most improved player. Why else would I have been so bad?

I just saw my teammate Gunnar Odinsson win the award. The thing is, he was also won several other awards. I don't expect to win several other awards, and the fact that someone who is already a good player could go on to win it has me a little concerned. Who is going to be the Odinsson next season? I'm not only competing with the rookies who did much better than me this season, I'm competing with all the other guys who sucked. And all the guys who probably should have been a lot better than they were but did not have the grace of Simon on their side. Phil The Rock Johnson only had 9 goals (lol just kidding he has 95 passing I'm not worried about him). Cowboy Prout had a 43 point season. Shit, he's going to win most improved. I'm calling that now. Granted, he did have a bit of a down year, but his career high in points is 69 (nice). I could also potentially see someone on Calgary going the Odinsson route; any of Nathan Perry, Dan Dan, or Steve Eso.

I don't know, most improved is hard to predict (ignore the fact that it was the only prediction I got right this season). I would very much like to win it, though I don't actually foresee myself having a good enough season to do so. I certainly would prefer to have a good season but not win it than continue to suck and eventually be good and win it then. It is one of the few awards that I have not won. Along with the Funk, the player awards that I have not won are the Slobodzian, Boulet, Valiq, and Clegane trophies. The Wylde and Clegane are newer ones, though I don't know for sure if I would have won either of those in the past. Esposito might have had a season where he could have come close to the Valiq, and I'm too lazy right now to look up if Glover ever led in GAA. I'm hoping that I can win at least one Boulet with Mourning; I will be building him as a power foward. The Slobodzian, obviously I would like for Mourning to win one.