Riga Reign drop six straight as playoff chances hang in balance

Bojovnik

The Riga Reign have had a somewhat mixed start to S80. After starting the season without a designated starting goaltender, management moved quickly to acquire Andrew Bowman from the Toronto Legion, but that seemingly hasn’t altered the team’s fortunes.

The Latvian club started the season relatively well, hovering above a 0.500 record, but the Reign’s form has completed turned over the past week. The Reign have gone 0-5-1 in their last six teams, leaving the Baltic nation’s premier club sitting in sixth place in the European Conference.

Despite having some of the league’s most promising talent, many of whom who are surely meant to be entering their prime after being drafted in S75, the Reign are once again languishing in the table in a place far below where many expected them to be.

“It’s super frustrating. Every season I’ve been here, the hopes have been high that this is the year when it will finally come together for us. We have all the pieces we need to be successful, but we just can’t get the results. I wish I had the answer for you, or that I knew what we could do to turn this situation around. But at the moment, nothing we seem to do works,” Riga Reign defenceman Jan Hlozek told reporters on Friday.