FHM Switch?

Nykonax

Should we switch sim engines because people look at a 20 game sample size and something they heard about being broken? I don't think VHL can pull off a switch to FHM/EHM. FHM is the only real option I guess but it was a pain for SHL. First you'd need to rewrite the portal to no longer output rating files, but instead a readable spreadsheet of player ratings. You need 1-2 people inputting all those players ratings once a week. You need to code some sort of index to use FHM outputs. Not sure the full details on that but I don't think they have single game outputs so people have to screenshot boxscores to see how they did in game performance. You also needs GM's to own the game to submit lines, or they can do it on an annoying spreadsheet then the simmer can spend even more time manually inputting. It's just a lot of time and work for little benefit, since FHM still has it's own meta builds with checking and defensive read. I don't know the full build meta for it, but considering the same 3 SHL teams have been good for all of FHM there's an argument to be had about meta. FHM also has huge problems with team disparity, and being on one of the top 3 teams in that league I don't understand how people would have fun going 0-50 (literally happened one season).

Little incoherent ranting, but essentially we would need people to do a lot of work and use a lot of time to switch, and if @rory wants to volunteer to do that then I'm down for a swap.

• Commissioner

Ultimately the reason we’ve never switched to a number of different engines we’ve looked at: breaking a lot of things that work amazingly well for us for the minor chance of better “engine performance” (which is pretty ill defined and usually just comes down to a user complaining that they lost) isn’t worth it. The VHL has the easiest job of any sim league getting data in and out of the engine. Why would we risk that?

If we can find something that adds benefit without massively breaking what we already have we’ll definitely put some energy into looking at it but so far we have not found that.