WJC Presents Chance For Lindbergh To Shine

Doomsday

WJC Presents Chance For Lindbergh To Shine

cut.jpg

VASTERAS - Despite becoming the first-ever champions of the VHLE after defeating the Rome Gladiators in Game Seven, the Vasteras Iron Eagles and netminder Oskar Lindbergh have hardly gotten time to let the thrill of victory sink in. Time moves fast in the world of the Victory Hockey League, and seemingly as soon as the champagne was popped, the next step of the journey came to light, as Lindbergh discovered that he had been selected to play for Team Europe at the upcoming World Junior Championship. After celebrating with his Vasteras teammates, Lindbergh immediately began his preparations for the annual tournament. While many overlook the WJC in the grand scheme of things in the VHL, it represents an enormous opportunity for Lindbergh to prove his worth.

“I fully admit I did not make the most of my opportunity with Vasteras this past season,” Lindbergh stated following a practice at the Vasteras team facility. “While I was able to work towards making the most of the situation I created for myself, and it was a great experience, I feel like I still have a lot to prove, both to myself and to the world of hockey. I recognize that the World Junior Championship is a great opportunity for me to showcase what I can do, as I’ll be playing against the very best prospects around the world. I have loved my role in Vasteras as vocal and emotional support from the bench, but I can’t wait to get back on the ice and show that I belong out there.”

GettyImages-610529750-1024x691.jpg

Lindbergh, who is expected to be Team Europe’s primary goaltender for the tournament, with fellow selection Pekka Grubauer also being on hand for his fair share of starts, is facing perhaps his best opportunity to showcase his talent in his career thus far. Despite being the primary goaltender of the Yukon Rush of the VHLM in Season 79, the team was in a rebuilding season, and was not truly able to build around the Swedish goaltender prospect. After being selected fourth overall by the Toronto Legion in the Season 80 VHL Entry Draft, both Toronto management and Lindbergh agreed that a season in the brand-new Victory Hockey League Europe would be best for his development. However, being on the Vasteras Iron Eagles with fellow Season 80 goaltender prospect Xavier Booberry, his playing time was limited, especially after Lindbergh puzzlingly decided to focus on bettering his grasp on the English language instead of focusing on his abilities in net. Despite having a championship roster around him, Lindbergh himself was far from his best, and it showed. However, after refocusing on his play on the ice, Lindbergh showed dramatic improvement, and once again he looked like the dynamic prospect that he was heralded as. 

However, the World Junior Championship presents itself as Lindbergh’s best chance to shine before he heads off to Toronto and the VHL. Once again, he’ll be the primary netminder, as he was in Yukon, but this time, there is a tremendously deep and talented team around him. Four incredibly talented and promising blue line prospects in Zdeno Chara, Sven Eightnine, Alessandro Nano, and Flynn Remy provide a strong defensive core for Lindbergh, and the Europeans are also strong at forward as well. Saku Kotkakoivu, Nico Pearce, Nils Godlander, and Maximus Decimus Meridius are just a handful of the immensely talented prospects playing for Team Europe this year, and this is a group that has serious gold medal aspirations with Lindbergh in net for them.

iolKtORTdgbPr-gL9L71_zdjKX4GB0HnmTiLMu0m

"It's a great chance for me to show what I've got," exclaimed Lindbergh. "And this time, I'm not letting it slip away."

Oskar Lindbergh’s dream of playing professional hockey in the VHL is unfolding right before his eyes, but for now, he’ll be chasing gold on the international stage in his final games as a VHL prospect.

Jethro Novacek is an award-winning writer for the MSFL Times, a faithful chronicler of simulation sports history. He enjoys remembering the times when daylight savings time didn’t exist, scientifically proving that Stouffer’s makes impossibly good French bread pizza, and performing vibe checks in underprivileged communities.

Review: 10/10

It's exciting to see you back on the ice, even as an opposing goaltender in the WJC. That European team is indeed stacked, and I'd call you guys the favorites going in. The article itself flowed well from beginning to end, and I didn't notice any grammar issues on my end. The presentation was excellent with the headline, bios and photos (though one of the photos does show up as a broken link to me). I could nitpick here for improvements, but if I'm being honest there isn't really anything else to improve. Great stuff all around, and best of luck in the tourney!