Maxx and Johnson: Two Defenders Entwined in Fate

lemonan

Maxx and Johnson: Two Defenders Entwined in Fate

If you haven't heard of the dynamic duo of Marshall Maxx and Connor Johnson, it's time to learn their names. Maxx, known as the "Destroyer of Men", and Johnson, a stellar two-way defenseman, were both late season additions for the Halifax 21st last season. Both dominated in their professional hockey debuts, leading to them both being drafted by the Riga Reign in the second round of the recent VHL draft. The two couldn't be more different as players, with Maxx being a hard hitting pure defenseman and Johnson being a two-way offensive threat, but on the ice it is very possible that they will be a duo at a level the VHL has never seen before. 

In season 80, an unexpected story broke out late as the two Halifax 21st defensemen made a huge rise in the draft rankings. Both Maxx and Johnson were highly touted prospects coming out of high school into the VHLM, Maxx from Toronto and Connor from Detroit, but nobody expected both to grow like they did. Late in the season, both players made the decision to join a playoff bound Halifax team that had famed star Bryn Yrwy at the helm and made some impact plays as the team beat Houston in round one of the playoffs. Unfortunately, the team lost in round two to a stacked Yukon team that went on to win the championship. However, both players showed immense growth throughout their games, going from raw players to highly touted VHL prospects in a shockingly short amount of time.

Many have heard of the two and the impact they made last season, but what is relatively unknown is the rivalry that drives the two to be the best. Johnson and Maxx both are determined to be the best defender in the VHL, and I wouldn't count either of them out. It is this drive and rivalry that has caused both to explode onto the scene at the rate that both have. Both Maxx and Johnson know how good the other one is and how good that they have the potential to be, and that drives both to strive to be better than the other. 

This coming year, the duo will be headed to separate teams, with Johnson playing in Saskatoon, taken with the number eight pick, and Maxx playing in San Diego, picked right after at number nine. Don't be surprised if both players are dueling against each other in the championship, and don't be surprised if we get a bit of friendly banter between the two. At the end of the day, the two will always drive each other to be the best player out there, and this is just step one along the way. Both players are driven to be the best defender in the VHL, and both were brought together by fate to support each other in accomplishing this goal. Only one will be able to stand on top at the end, but for now they are both helping each other rise to the top through a great rivalry that may at one point go down in history as the greatest duo in hockey history. 

533 Words, Using for week of 11/28/21

Edited by lemonan

This was a smooth read and I enjoyed getting to know both Marshall Maxx and Connor Johnson, two guys I will be going up against in the VHLM this season. Not any huge grammar mistakes that I see and especially none that take away from the enjoyment of the article. Hopefully this duo will keep improving into the VHL!

10/10

Very good article, I hope the 2 mates will defend the same blue line again. I would have loved to see some of the stats, including checking stats for the defensive defensemen, so I can understand how you 2 played last season together. I really enjoyed the read, I would love to read how you two will destroy each other this season. 9/10