LOSPENOV TO HOUSTON, BUT FOR HOW LONG?

HOUSTON, TX – After a shortcoming in the VHLM Playoffs last season, the Houston Bulls added what they hope will be a key offensive piece in Mikhail Lospenov via a trade with the Mississauga Hounds.

Lospenov, a Penza, RU native, spent his rookie season in Mississauga, and despite a less-than stellar performance from his team, he dazzled throughout the 72 games that he appeared in. Over the season, Lospenov led the Hounds in goals with 46 tallies and finished second in points behind teammate Nayt Bedard with 102.

Breaking the century mark in points is nothing new for a skilled player in the VHLM, but what impresses about Lospenov’s line is that the Russian forward did so in his first professional campaign and on a team, that, to put it softly: was horrific.

The “clutch factor” was truly present for Lospenov in his opening campaign in the league, as the winger marked four game-winning goals and turned away 43 opponent shots on the defensive side of the puck.

“I take pride in stepping up in those big moments for my team,” said Lospenov in an interview with the local CBS affiliate this week. “You don’t wake up and say, I’m going to be the guy who wins the game; You wake up and say I’m going to do what I can for my team. Sometimes that ends up meaning you have to get the job done, and that feels so rewarding.”

Lospenov earned a respectable reputation within the fan-base for his dedication to victory, albeit a few of them, but the faith of the fans and the organization were put to the test in October.

In what was a quickly exposed scandal, Lospenov’s agent, Christian Gostlivic, began probing VHLM general managers for trade offers to move his client to a more successful situation. Lospenov, who has been adamant of his exclusion from the conversations and decisions made by Gostlivic, quickly separated himself from the now unemployed agent.

The scandal put a heavy weight on Lospenov to prove his devotion to the Hounds, but despite his best efforts, Mississauga made the decision to move on from the situation entirely by dealing Lospenov to the Bulls.

“I’ve said this a hundred times, and I will say it again: I had no knowledge of my former agent’s dealings,” said Lospenov on VSN Tonight. “The situation was not ideal, but that happens with teams. You have a down season, you restock, and you build for the future. I wanted to be a part of that. I never wanted to leave.”

Regardless of the situation in Mississauga, Lospenov may not have a choice in his timeline with Houston, as the forward is closing in on a call-up to the next Level.

Drafted with the 28th overall pick in the VHLE Draft by Stockholm, Lospenov has an easily obtainable goal to strive for.

Beyond the VHLE, Lospenov has, as of today, signed his Entry-level deal the Helsinki Titans of the VHL who drafted him with the 40th overall pick.

The $5 million-dollar deal is enough to entice Lospenov to accelerate his development and leave the VHLM in the dust.

Should he be eligible for the S81 edition of the VHLM, Lospenov will undoubtedly help propel the Bulls into a strong contender.