Analysis of VHLA2 Africa Conference Part 1: Congo and Nigeria

Will3

Our new adventure is beginning. We will be journey through the beautiful but troubled land of Africa. In reality placing a ice hockey league in Africa is probably impossible right now. But sims leagues have the advantage of making the impossible possible. And for this leg of the journey, I have the help of my former GM and great friend 16z, who came up with all team names of this conference. Let us discover what my friend found.

Located in Central Africa,The Democratic Republic of the Congo is the second-largest country in all of Africa as well as the fourth-most populous country in Africa with a population of 92 million people. The Democratic Republic of the Congo is extremely rich in natural resources with raw materials being the primary export. Yet the Congo is a troubled land. Brutal exploitation, political instability, corrupt leadership, and two devastating wars with in the past 30 years have left the Congo with scars that are only now healing.  I believe that if ice hockey would be a part of the healing process, the team would be called the Congo Crush. The likely inspiration for this club  is a silverback gorilla which can crush you. The strength of a silverback gorilla has been estimated to to be about 10 times their body weight. An average weight of 400 lb or 181 kg leads to the theoretical strength to lift 4,000 lb or 1,810 kg.  Add in a 1,300 psi bite strength and you have a creature that is best respected from a safe distance. Black, silver and a supporting red color palate finishes the look.

Just off the Gulf of Guinea in West Africa, Nigeria is a rising power in the world. It has the largest population in Africa with a population of over 211 million. It a multinational state inhabited by more than 250 ethnic groups speaking 500 distinct languages, all identifying with a wide variety of cultures. The modern state originated with British colonialization in the 19th century. Nigeria would have its own political instability after independence in 1960 but has recovered from it's political problems to have the largest economy in Africa. Having the largest and most important city in Africa in Lagos helps. Lagos would also be the home of the Nigeria Heatwave. The climate of Nigeria is tropical and as such hot and humid with typical savanna rainy and dry seasons. On the coast, temperatures rarely exceed 32 C or 90 F with high humidity. During the dry season, which runs from November to March, has midday temperatures above 38 C or 100 F with cool nights as low as 12 C or 54 F. It is hot enough for the team name to work. Yellow, white and supportive national green hopefully has the team looking as hot as its name.

And that is the first part of my adventure into Africa. It has been fun to imagine what teams would settle in this land so foreign to ice hockey. I hope that our grand adventure togther is both informative and fun. Next week, I will visit the countries of Botswana and Kenya to explore what team names can be found there. I will see you there. 

Edited by Will3

• Will3 changed the title to Analysis of VHLA2 Africa Conference Part 1: Congo and Nigeria

My god this in incredible! You brought so much of actual history that really shaped the country. Really good expectations of what teams could be looking like in this country. Can't wait to see this country pull a joker and produce an elite player in the future. I really think that many years from now this market will really grow and a few player will came from that country. Really great job can't wait for part 2!! 

9/10

Edited by DrunkMonkey23
No rating

i've enjoyed your series about hypothetical leagues. i don't know much about where in the world ice hockey is played, but i assume that north america and europe are the two most common locations for the sport. nonetheless, this is a fantasy simulation league, so location isn't actually all that important. kudos for the creativity.

i'm not super sure how this article relates to the league, though. the information that you've given feels more like a cultural/history lesson about the locations and symbolism you've identified here

7/10

14 hours ago, DrunkMonkey23 said:

Can't wait to see this country pull a joker and produce an elite player in the future.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/11116/akim-aliu

They already got pretty close. Though obviously brought up in the Canadian Junior system, he's still from there.

I have really enjoyed this series so far but this one seemed to be lacking more insight into the hockey atmosphere of Africa. As Fishy said it feels more like a history lesson and less of an article on why a professional hockey team should be there. The research and topic is solid and it is still enjoyable to read. There are some minor grammar and spelling errors that could’ve been caught in a proof-read but are not detrimental to the overall message. 

7/10

The updater does agree that the article became a history lesson more that a VHL article to the point of rejecting the article. I am sorry. African history is interesting and I got a little sidetracked. I try to present condensed history and I failed this time. I have reedited the article to rebalance it and put the focus back to where it should belong, the teams. I will do better in the future.

Edited by Will3