Old-fashioned DonnyBrook

Scurvy

Anyone who watched the San Diego Marlins beat the Houston Bulls today saw the making of a bloody rivalry that has fans and writers alike marking their calendars.   Led by an all-star performance by Maxwell Mathias the Marlins were able to edge out the division leading Bulls.  However, this was no easy win and every inch earned was fought for.  

The game’s rough edge showed itself at the 19:10 mark of the first period when Houston tough guy Mikhail Kovalchuk took a roughing penalty on San Diego star, The Board Game Clue on Skates.  As they say in the VHLM, “players have long memories.”  

At the 6:45 mark of the second period, The Board Game Clue on Skates (BGCS) had enough and answered the bell for a spirited and bloody fight with Houston stud, Eldon Escobar.  BGCS and Escobar traded some heavy bombs with defense all but forgotten.  Both players punched to exhaustion with both taking serious damage but never relenting.  For all those out there who dislike fighting in the VHL apparently none were in attendance tonight.  The entire building was on their feet screaming as they two pugilists duked it out at center ice for their teams.  At the end of the fight both players nodded in respect as they went to the locker room for some much-needed repairs. 

The rest of the second period continued to be chippy with some roughing penalties and extracurricular shots after every whistle.   At one point it looked like even the GM JB123 was going to join in some fisticuff as he was in a heated yelling match with Houston Bulls GM Moon.   Kudos to the referees who had their hands full just to keep this game from lasting four hours. 

This rough stuff seemed to energize both teams but with San Diego getting just a bit more out of the physical play.  The Marlins edged the Bulls out 3-2 on the scoreboard with excellent performances from Maxwell Mathias 1-2-3 points and 8 shots on goal, Mashall Maxx 1-2-3, and The Board Game Clue on Skates with the Gordy Howe hat trick 1-1-2, 5 PIM, and a solid 21/39 in the face-off circle.

In a post-game interview with blue chip prospect Tavish DeGroot he spoke about the events of tonight’s game.     “I think the physical style of play benefits out team.  We have a bunch of junk yard dogs who I think get motivated when they stick up for each other.  Houston is tough and good so we will need to be ready on out next meeting.”  

When asked about his top ranking in the draft DeGroot was humble in his response.  “I am just focused on playing hard for the Marlins and winning some games with my team.   This is an amazing group of players and I love being here.  I am not worried about drafts really.  I play my game and look to win every game.” 

We will certainly be looking forward to the next meeting between these two powerhouses.  

17 hours ago, Scurvy said:

The game’s rough edge showed itself at the 19:10 mark of the first period when Houston tough guy Mikhail Kovalchuk took a roughing penalty on San Diego star, The Board Game Clue on Skates.  As they say in the VHLM, “players have long memories.”  

As they say, "a board game never forgets" which is a 100% true statement.

Just now, MubbleFubbles said:

As they say, "a board game never forgets" which is a 100% true statement.

I mean it's impossible to argue with that statement 10/10. I still don't know how you get beat up in a fight by a board game though. BGCS' legend just continues to grow. Is there anything this "supposedly" inanimate object can't do?

6 minutes ago, Shindigs said:

I mean it's impossible to argue with that statement 10/10. I still don't know how you get beat up in a fight by a board game though. BGCS' legend just continues to grow. Is there anything this "supposedly" inanimate object can't do?

Fun Fact: Muhammad Ali went into his fight with George Foreman in the Rumble in the Jungle with a strategy inspired by watching tape of the older games of Clue refusing to get beaten by angry drunkards. 

1 minute ago, MubbleFubbles said:

Fun Fact: Muhammad Ali went into his fight with George Foreman in the Rumble in the Jungle with a strategy inspired by watching tape of the older games of Clue refusing to get beaten by angry drunkards. 

Man, I feel like there may be a Clue Tape™ ad in here somewhere. "Now that' alotta damage!"