fragmented thoughts with fishy #6

fishy

1. today i learned that the vhl wildcard series is best of 5. who am i to claim that i have ever been a veteran on a team when i had literally no idea. i found out because fantasy zone was asking how many games (3, 4, or 5) would be in the series. i’m so glad that i didn’t message youloser and ask if it was a typo bc that would have been one of the most embarrassing moments of my life

2. one team has scouted me since my aggressive podcast last week. it’s working, folks. they’re either reaching out or too scared to. just the way i like it.

3. i don’t like that resign (voluntarily leave) and resign (re-sign) are spelled the same way in the vhl. the latter is supposed to be re-sign. the two have completely different meanings, and we use the same spelling for them. what’s wrong with the dash. why can’t we just use the dash. it throws me off when people are talking about re-signing but saying resigning because they’re talking about returning to a team but, prescriptively, talking about leaving a team. but i won’t get started on my text-based communication pet peeves. i’ll be here all night.

15 minutes ago, fishy said:

i found out because fantasy zone was asking how many games (3, 4, or 5) would be in the series. i’m so glad that i didn’t message youloser and ask if it was a typo bc that would have been one of the most embarrassing moments of my life

I actually asked lol

12 hours ago, fishy said:

3. i don’t like that resign (voluntarily leave) and resign (re-sign) are spelled the same way in the vhl. the latter is supposed to be re-sign. the two have completely different meanings, and we use the same spelling for them. what’s wrong with the dash. why can’t we just use the dash. it throws me off when people are talking about re-signing but saying resigning because they’re talking about returning to a team but, prescriptively, talking about leaving a team. but i won’t get started on my text-based communication pet peeves. i’ll be here all night.

I called one member (who shall remain unnamed) out on that, as I was confused by the announcement and the ensuing cheering in the respective LR. And since I am not a native speaker, I asked whether I missed something and whether 're-signing' should not be written with a hyphen.

I mean obviously if you talk, different syllables are stressed, but one cannot see that in written text.... so yes please, to avoid confusion (and the spread of rumours), pay attention to that little difference (which actually means a big difference as to meaning of the sentence)...

1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

I called one member (who shall remain unnamed) out on that, as I was confused by the announcement and the ensuing cheering in the respective LR. And since I am not a native speaker, I asked whether I missed something and whether 're-signing' should not be written with a hyphen.

I mean obviously if you talk, different syllables are stressed, but one cannot see that in written text.... so yes please, to avoid confusion (and the spread of rumours), pay attention to that little difference (which actually means a big difference as to meaning of the sentence)...

let's make this an "annoying things about english" thread. english language hate thread. why-are-you-the-way-that-you-are thread. anti-english language sentiment thread

16 minutes ago, fishy said:

let's make this an "annoying things about english" thread. english language hate thread. why-are-you-the-way-that-you-are thread. anti-english language sentiment thread

Well there are certainly some oddities with the English language... but as I am a native German speaker, it is bearable (the languages share common 'heritage' to a certain extent)... And I learned French as well which is more of a nightmare and more worthy of such a thread... but yeah some things are there that I'll never understand...

10 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

Well there are certainly some oddities with the English language... but as I am a native German speaker, it is bearable (the languages share common 'heritage' to a certain extent)... And I learned French as well which is more of a nightmare and more worthy of such a thread... but yeah some things are there that I'll never understand...

LOL yeah that makes sense, english is a germanic language, so there are some fundamental similarities.... french, however, is in a completely different language family, so i get the hate

On 1/4/2022 at 2:19 AM, fishy said:

why can’t we just use the dash

It's been banned league wide for being "European Black Magic". My player is actually named Bo-Ingvar Johansson. But hyphens are not allowed, so I just had to drop like 80% of his first name.🤣