Exclusive Interview With Malmo Nighthawks Second-Best Defenseman Scotty Kaberle

fromtheinside

The following is a transcript of Inside VHL's exclusive interview with veteran defenseman Scotty Kaberle. The Nighthawks recently finished their season with a six point cushion over their rivals, the Moscow Menace. Being that they were first in their conference, they earned some well deserved time to rest while the VHL Wild Card round played out. Yesterday afternoon the Nighthawks held their media availability day and we were able to talk to a number of players on the team. So without further ado, here's our exclusive one-on-one interview with Scotty Kaberle, hope you enjoy it!

IV: Hello Mr. Kaberle, thank you so much for being so gracious with your time today. As many of the fans know, the regular season is a long and grueling process. My first question is how is the team feeling heading into your semi-final matchup with the Warsaw Predators, and more specifically, how are YOU doing?

SK: Hey, thanks for having me. I'm always happy to make time for the media and talk about the team. The boys are really excited and raring to go. We finished the season on quite the heater and hopefully we can carry some of that juju into the playoffs with us. We caught lightning in a bottle a couple seasons ago when we went all the way, hopefully lightning can strike twice. As for me personally, this time off has really helped me a ton. As a lot of the media and fans know, I'm not getting any younger out there, and I've been battling some wear and tear on my body as late. The extra rest has really made me feel rejuvenated. 

IV: Glad to hear you are feeling good Kabby. It's been widely speculated across the league over the last couple of months that this could be your last season in the VHL and you intend to hang up the skates after this playoff run. Care to comment?

SK: Well, as I alluded to in the last question, I am not getting any younger and over the last couple of seasons I have had my fair share of nagging injuries. I love this game. This game has gave me everything. But I have to think of my life after hockey. I want to be able to get out of bed and play with my kids after I retire. And if I keep piling up these injuries, I could find myself in some serious trouble physically. I can still perform well enough to be a strong asset for my team, but I would rather go out during my prime then cling on too long and become a shell of my former self. So yeah, this playoff run will be the end of the road for me. Malmo is in great hands going forward though, so fans should remain optimistic!

IV: Wow, well you've had quite an illustrious career Mr. Kaberle, and you will go down as one of the most beloved blueliners in Malmo's storied history. You mentioned Malmo having a bright future. Elaborate on what you think this team looks like going forward.

SK: In the short term, I think our core of forwards is locked up, and that's a good thing because we have some of the most potent scoring in the league. Telk lives and breathes Nighthawks hockey and will continue to lead the way. We got guys like Mourns and Walks who are just entering their primes and will absolutely tear it up for years to come. Back when we won the title a couple of years ago, we had Gunnar Odinsson carrying the offensive load big time. I feel like all these guys can fill those shoes easily. And perhaps the brightest spot in our future is Nate Minion, look at the rookie year that kid is having. How can you not be excited about that? Our defense will definitely need to be shored up a bit and poor Tretiak is on his last legs back in net, god bless his heart. When I came to the team, GM Hylands lead us to the promised land. Now GM Gobeil will do the same for the next generation.

IV: Well said!  How are you guys preparing for your upcoming series with Warsaw, and have you begun looking beyond the Predators to any potential opponents down the road?

SK: I think it would be really disrespectful to overlook Warsaw and look too far ahead. That being said, we obviously want a shot a revenge against Moscow since they were the ones who put us out last season. First and foremost though, we need to handle our business with the Preds. Just like we want revenge on Moscow, Warsaw feels the same way about us since we eliminated them last season. We can't sleep on them, they beat us a few times in the regular season and they are most certainly capable of doing it again.  I think the biggest key is shutting down Nasherov. The guy is a monster, and if we can take him out of the equation, our chances of winning go way up. Myself and Juice are going to have to lock his line down. And of course I think over in the NA, Vancouver will still be the team to beat. They are the defending champs and until they are dethroned, they remain the biggest threat out there. I would love to face them in a best-of-seven to see how we stack up with them. 

IV: I'd have to agree, the Wolves certainly look poised to try for a repeat. Well we had better let you go Mr. Kaberle. I think I can speak on behalf of most of my media colleagues, it's been a pleasure covering your career, all the way from your beginning with the Saskatoon Wild, to San Diego, Toronto, and all the way to Sweden here with the Nighthawks. You've had a great career and no matter what happens in the playoffs, you should look back on your career positively.

SK: Cheers! Thanks for the kind words, and to all the VHL fans out there that have supported me throughout my career, thanks a ton. I started off on this adventure as a stray little pup, and I had no idea my career would  end up the way it has. I am truly blessed for my great coaches and teammates I've had along the way. It's been real!

Thanks for reading another installment of Inside VHL! We will be back next week to review the results of the VHL Semi-Finals. Until then, enjoy the hockey everyone!

1099 words- claiming for 2 weeks

9/10

wow really good text. I really like to see that you put colour on the text to difference who is talking. It is really interesting and it is nice to see how Scott and the team are preparating for the playoffs. Maybe add a little picture to make it better, but overall great text, keep up the good work and good luck in the playoffs