Analysis of VHLA2 Arabian Coference Part 1: North Africa

Will3

After returning from an action pack vacation in Orlando, I am back to continue my fictional journey finding appropriate hockey team names in unexpected places. Last time we concluded the African Coference. Today we head north to see what team names find a home in the desert. Some people may ask, "why are these team in the Arabian Coference if they are in Africa?" I have two reasons for doing so. The first is that NA teams play Arabian teams in real life. The second is to help balance the conferences and to have teams that can transition between conferences reasonable well. With that explanation out of the way, let me show you what I have dug up.

Situated on a large Mediterranean Sea gulf, Tunis the capital and largest city of Tunisia. "Grand Tunis" as it is called, has a metro area with about 2,700,000 inhabitants. It is the fourth-largest city in the region and the sixteenth-largest in the Arab world. It aslo has ties to the distance past with the seaside suburb of Carthage. It is this ancient history that already both the i r l team as well as my suggestion to take the name of the older city rather than the new one. My name suggestion, the Carthage Conquerors, calls back to the ancient Carthaginian Empire and it's most famous members, Hannibal. The Punic general earned legendary status in the Second Punic War. He invaded Italy by crossing the Alps with North African war elephants. Then with well-planned strategies, he occupied most of southern Italy for 15 years. In spite of loosing the war, he is widely regarded as one of the greatest military commanders in history and he is a fitting reference for any hockey team near his hometown.

We go further back in time with our next destination. To the city of Cairo we go. The capital of Egypt has a metro population of 21.3 million. That means that Cairo has is the second largest urban agglomeration in Africa (behind perviously mentioned Lagos), the largest in the Arab world and the Middle East, and the sixth-largest in the world. It aslo has much of what people associate with ancient Egypt such as the Giza pyramid complex and the ancient city of Memphis so there is a complex mythology to work with. The local soccer team, Cairo City F.C. recently won the inaugural SSL Championship so there is a good sports market here. I once again use mythology to produce an expected team name. For this place it results in the Cairo Sun Falcons. To understand this team name, we need to learn who Horus is. He was one of the most significant ancient Egyptian deities being most notably god of kingship and the sky. He was most often depicted as a falcon, most likely a lanner falcon or peregrine falcon, or as a man with a falcon head. The pharaohs claim their divine right to rule by Horus. The team name reference the pharaoh indirectly and I like that. Cairo Camels was another idea I had but that was a little to predictable for my tast.

That is all I have for you today. I have a feeling that the desert will prove to be a treasure trove of interesting team names. We got plenty of time to see everything so you will have wait till next week to see my latest discoveries. I will see you then. I believe I will take that riverboat cruise down the Nile I have been dying to take.