Are We About to See Another War?

thadthrasher

2 minutes ago, Peace said:

As crazy as it sounds, I'm almost certain Ukraine is more desensitized to conflict within their country than we would be if US/Canada was invaded instead.

Part of that also comes from the effects of war going through generations of people. The US has veterans that all endured something "over there," somewhere other than home. To those who have never seen "those" places the conflict, fighting, war seem so surreal that it's hard to imagine, even after seeing videos and pictures.

The people in Ukraine, and most of Europe, have had the fighting not "somewhere other than home," but right in their back yards. That, connected with the stories passed down, has a way of desensitizing. 

1 minute ago, Peace said:

Potential misinformation.

The same lightning storm moving across that area also confused people in Ukraine.

It was probably just lightning and this guy jumped the gun thinking it was missile strikes. 

I just seen that!! I’d be on edge at the moment though. Thunder would have me ruin my pajama pants. 

1 minute ago, Peace said:

Potential misinformation.

The same lightning storm moving across that area also confused people in Ukraine.

It was probably just lightning and this guy jumped the gun thinking it was missile strikes. 

yeah I seen many posts claiming that this is fake.

1 minute ago, thadthrasher said:

Part of that also comes from the effects of war going through generations of people. The US has veterans that all endured something "over there," somewhere other than home. To those who have never seen "those" places the conflict, fighting, war seem so surreal that it's hard to imagine, even after seeing videos and pictures.

The people in Ukraine, and most of Europe, have had the fighting not "somewhere other than home," but right in their back yards. That, connected with the stories passed down, has a way of desensitizing. 

Oh I know. 

Afghanistan and Iraq were different types of warfare too. Fighting insurgents was unconventional, ISAF members had to adjust tactics to weed out the insurgents after the conventional way just meant they'd retreat beyond the borders practically every time. A fight between Russia and the US would be conventional, you'd have M1A2's fighting T-80's, you'd have infantrymen with 5.56 firing at Russians with 5.45, you'd have F-16s dogfighting Flankers in the air. 

A much different war than what veterans experienced in Iraq or Afghanistan.

In a way the more conventional warfare is the less extreme horrors you'd see compared to an entirely unconventional enemy like the Vietcong or Taliban insurgents... 'Over there' doesn't just describe a mount of dirt you've got no idea why you're protecting, it also describes how vile the people you fought were. Riles me up just thinking about it.

Air raid sirens going on in Kyiv and people are just "Fuck it, I've heard it before. I'mma just go to work." or trying to leave the city. 

Yeah, I think they're either done with Ukraine's conflicts or trying to get into the country side.

I genuinely wonder how this is seen in Russia. Not in the Russian media or among the Russian government, but among the people themselves. Surely there are many, many Russians who see that this isn't right.

With the threat of retaliation from a more technologically advanced (read: has nukes, a lot of them) country, I think the world will try to take a more measured approach to this. We've never seen two major nuclear powers go to war with each other, and that happening would be terrible news for everyone. But that said, it's got to weigh on a lot of consciences if no one does anything and we all just let it happen. We're screwed either way.

TL;DR: Putin can fuck off.

7 minutes ago, Gustav said:

With the threat of retaliation from a more technologically advanced (read: has nukes, a lot of them) country, I think the world will try to take a more measured approach to this.

There's two ways to look at this. 

If Russia wanted to annex Ukraine without nuclear ordinance being used, threatening nuclear warfare is mostly a bluff [psychological warfare] as the consequences is -- at worst -- mutually assured destruction of two global superpowers with more than enough nukes to irradiate the globe.

The second way to look at this is... if it devolves into nuclear warfare you'll likely only see a few missiles used before hostilities end completely. Drop a nuke on Moscow [as the seat of the Russian Government] will in turn result in the nuclear hit of Washington [seat of US Government]. Beyond that it'll just be whomever survives wondering what the fuck to do next, but the massive reality of nukes being deployed would set in and could lead to a more effective nuclear deterrent as both sides realize they'd just be dead in the end.

Edited by Peace

2 minutes ago, Peace said:

There's two ways to look at this. 

If Russia wanted to annex Ukraine without nuclear ordinance being used, threatening nuclear warfare is mostly a bluff [psychological warfare] as the consequences is -- at worst -- mutually assured destruction of two global superpowers with more than enough nukes to irradiate the globe.

The second way to look at this is... if it devolves into nuclear warfare you'll likely only see a few missiles used before hostilities end completely. Drop a nuke on Moscow [as the seat of the Russian Government] will in turn result in the nuclear hit of Washington [seat of US Government]. Beyond that it'll just be whomever survives wondering what the fuck to do next, but the massive reality of nukes being deployed would set in and could lead to a more effective nuclear deterrent as both sides realize they'd just be dead in the end.

For sure--but the possibility of things escalating to that point should deter some amount of direct action. If we go back 100 years, and things like nukes don't exist...well, I wouldn't be entirely unprepared to be forced into the military. With the situation as it is, I doubt the US (officially) joins. And--at least for the moment--I think Putin threatening that is a bluff.

But we almost reached full-on nuclear warfare more than once without even going to war--and we can thank Stanislav Petrov for the "almost" bit. Things are already messy and avoiding escalation is going to be a diplomatic nightmare. Now more than arguably any other time in recent history, we need the right people making the decisions.

Russia is claiming that Ukraine's air defenses have been neutralized, yet Ukraine is claiming an additional 4 Russian jets and an attack helicopter have been destroyed.

They may be reduced to MPADS now, but it's more likely some air defense platforms are still operational.