What genre are national anthems? Country.

jRuutu

role-playing.gif

This week I am once again writing a media spot. I have tried to record a podcast in the past weeks, but I find the 15-minute requirement too much. I would have to do research and have something interesting to say to reach 15 minutes. I have recorded a few podcast episodes in the past, but when I think about writing 500 words for a media spot, or recording a podcast - right now writing an article wins. I find writing to be way easier.

Why?

You can't roleplay for a 15-minute podcast episode. The cornerstones of my media franchise are exaggeration and silly games.   I can't do stuff like that for 15 minutes, and I am willing to bet that not many users in VHL can. I think it's a shame that podcasts on a roleplaying website have requirements that prevent users from roleplaying. Have you tried to be your player? Have you recorded you being your player? How interesting is that? Not so interesting. You need to plan, you need to create scenarios, you need to write some type of script beforehand. Then record and edit. Not that many people will put that much time into the roleplaying aspect.

What is left is league-related talk. You, the user, talk about VHL.  There are a lot of possibilities there, I know that, but in my mind, it's not ideal for the roleplaying website to have a 15-minute minimum requirement for an episode. That requirement pushes roleplaying to a different format.  That format is media spots. When we think about media spots, it's a lot easier to write about whatever than to roleplay. You can just type away. Type, type, type. Have you tried to write a script or thought about your player's personality, what you would say if this happens or what would be fun if that happens? That takes time and effort.

A lot of potential is lost only because someone decided 15 minutes is the minimum. I think roleplaying in a podcast makes more sense than in written form. It has far superior potential.  You can laugh. You can yell. You can be quiet. You can do all kinds of subtle things. When we think about promoting this place, how much fun would it be to have short ''roleplaying'' episodes, where players talk with other players, general managers actually talk to their players as if they were discussing a new deal? The list is endless, roleplaying. Use it to promote the place.  You could do all kinds of fun things, but 15 minutes is too much for one episode.  You could do something like that now, but it doesn't make much sense to organize a proper roleplaying scene just for 3 TPE, which is the reward for the shorter radio podcast of 5-minute episode.

Only very few roleplay in VHL and it's understandable, it doesn't make any sense to invest in your player as a character. Everything is on the surface level. That is a shame. We all lose. A lot of potential is missed.

Hard to argue with the points you bring up here, and this is coming from someone who has recorded about 400 podcasts in the past for sim leagues. Roleplaying in podcast format is hard as hell. That said, I really enjoy writing the roleplaying articles and would recommend that people who regularly do media spots give it a try at least once. It's like goofy fan fiction and a nice release for creative energy.

Grammar-wise, nothing to complain about here. It's an easy read, very conversational and to the point. 

I don't know that shortening the podcast time requirement really "fixes" the roleplaying issue, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

10/10 for a thoughtful read.

3 hours ago, der meister said:

Hard to argue with the points you bring up here, and this is coming from someone who has recorded about 400 podcasts in the past for sim leagues. Roleplaying in podcast format is hard as hell. That said, I really enjoy writing the roleplaying articles and would recommend that people who regularly do media spots give it a try at least once. It's like goofy fan fiction and a nice release for creative energy.

Grammar-wise, nothing to complain about here. It's an easy read, very conversational and to the point. 

I don't know that shortening the podcast time requirement really "fixes" the roleplaying issue, but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

10/10 for a thoughtful read.

The first place to start would be to lift the 15 minute podcast time requirement. I would say 5 minutes would be enough for 6 TPE. Assuming actual character work is being done. Even 5 minutes of roleplaying is a lot of work. Someone would have to listen to the episodes to make sure a certain level of effort is put in.

I think the current 15-minute requirement doesn't teach people to post quality content - it's the opposite. People learn to ramble on and on without saying anything. Why do people beg for timestamps and tags? Because they are not going to listen to the whole thing. What is the point then? Why 15 minutes? You could push the ''league related'' podcast length requirement down to 10 minutes and only positive things would happen.

Might as well allow users to be creative and give them a license to do something other than ramble on for 15 minutes.  Is there a better way to promote a place like this than as a place where you could learn to make quality content in various formats?