Analysis of VHLE Team Names Part 1: Oslo and Geneva

Will3

The time has come for the next league up to be analyzed. It is the E's time to be broken down and questioned and the best place to start is with the team names that were promoted from the M a couple of seasons ago. I analyzed the prefious names last week and  it is now time to finish what I started.

It was the easiest decision to return the Storm to Oslo as part of the VHLE expansion. It was a joyous homecoming back to the place where the team began so many seasons ago. The Norse mythology figure that I hinted at as being the namesake for the team is indeed Thor, who is associated with the lightning, thunder and storms are all very well known. As good as a fit Minnesota may have been for the Storm, Oslo is home and nothing beats home no matter where you go.

It took some time to decide where the Rush would end up. Ultimately, Geneva, Switzerland was chosen. While the rushing downhill part does work well in for Geneva (and any city in the Alps) the local history aspect that made the Rush a perfect team name in Yukon doesn't translate into Swiss.  Thus a great team name in the VHLM is a just ok one in the VHLE. There has been some calls for Geneva to rebrand. I would be open to the idea if something better than the current generic team name would be found. That isn't my decision to make.

And that is the end of the beginning. With the promotion teams out of the way, we can now hit the inaugural VHLE clubs. Unless things change,which is a possibility, I should be through this league in under a month. For next week, the teams in Bratislava and Cologne are up for analysis. But as for today we are done. Thank you for your time and #StandwithUkraine. 🇺🇦 

Simple concept for an article executed well. Quick read, draws attention to the weird Geneva name...it's an article that gets in, does its business, and gets out, and I can appreciate that, especially on a Friday. No grammar issues really jumped out at meNo grammar issues really jumped out at me, and honestly I hope you continue the series through the entirety of the VHL. As a side note, I'm still waiting for the NHL team in Minnesota to tell us what noun they are. Wild Boars? Wild Childs? Wild(e)beasts? 10/10 🇺🇦

Edited by der meister

On 3/9/2022 at 8:26 PM, Will3 said:

While the rushing downhill part does work well in for Geneva (and any city in the Alps) the local history aspect that made the Rush a perfect team name in Yukon doesn't translate into Swiss. 

Yeah, it does not really fit (especially since the Suisse Romands (Frenchspeaking Swiss)) are not exactly known for rushing anything (except talking maybe).

Something related to the CERN might be more appropriate or something like the Geneva Vaults (due to the amount of banks located in Geneva), or something related to the Geneva Motor Show (one of the most important shows of its kind)... The Geneva coat of arms depicts an eagle but with the abundance of various birds of prey already in various leagues, I do not really like that approach...