Callum Murray Junior Review

Berocka

Introduction

Callum Murray grew up in Australia, he was born in a small town on the outskirts of Brisbane and was never really a hero at sports.

image.jpeg.7292f989ec56be43eb279452f64ef2ec.jpeg

Early Sports

His father firstly got him into Rugby League, due to his size that they thought he would make a good Hooker. He played for a couple of seasons and ended up riding the bench due to his inability to pass the ball well.

Next, he moved into the world of soccer as he did not have the ball skills with his hands his father thought maybe using his feet might work better. After scoring more own goals than goals the Coach asked if Callum could try out a different sport.

During this time Callum filled in his summer times playing cricket, he couldn’t field or bowl for the life of him but he could quite regularly get bat on ball. Though he had more success with the cross-bat shots and would usually have issues with the ball going through the gate.

Discovering Hockey

During all these sports Callum went through a quite a rough time and withdrew from his usual activities. He took more and more days off school and would talk to his friends less. During the days at home from school he would scroll through Foxtel for anything to watch. One day a NHL game was on it was the Buffalo Sabres against the Carolina Hurricanes, two places he didn’t even knew existed. He fell in love almost immediately, they were hitting each other hard like rugby players, they had the “ball handling” skills of a soccer player pulling off various moves to get around defenders and they were using their sticks like a cricket player hitting the pucks quite hard. It seemed like all the things he loved about the sports he played were all combined into one. The only issue was he didn’t know how to skate. Sure, he went once when he was little to a girls birthday party but never really had tried.

cropped-logo@3x.png

Learning to play

After only watching a handful of games Callum was in love with Hockey and he wanted to give it a try. He made his parents sign him up for ice skating lessons and he started going to the rink whenever he got the chance. Unfortunately, there was only one rink near him and being near Brisbane there was never going to be any natural ice for him to skate on. So, after a couple of years Murray had already made it to the top level of ice hockey in Australia. He was the captain of the Sydney Bears in the AIHL. He became the leading point scorer every game. It was at the end of his third season he was approached by the Mexico City Kings GM to come play in the VHLM, and this is where his career really begins…

48415521_1897545820340783_75961734385327

3 hours ago, BOOM said:

In before you have to explain this to most of the North Americans. 

Nah, even I as a Swiss understand that a hooker is a position in rugby (number two) between the tight end prop and the loose end prop in a scrum, whose job it is to win the ball in a scrum... There was a Six Nations game recently where Italy was penalized for not having a hooker anymore and had to take uncontested scrums... which reduced them to 13 players against Ireland... so they got steamrolled... Problem in my opinion was that the first Hooker they lost due to an injury (broken arm I believe) and the second one was sent off for a disputable high tackle...

10 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

Nah, even I as a Swiss understand that a hooker is a position in rugby (number two) between the tight end prop and the loose end prop in a scrum, whose job it is to win the ball in a scrum... There was a Six Nations game recently where Italy was penalized for not having a hooker anymore and had to take uncontested scrums... which reduced them to 13 players against Ireland... so they got steamrolled... Problem in my opinion was that the first Hooker they lost due to an injury (broken arm I believe) and the second one was sent off for a disputable high tackle...

Ahh but in Rugby League it is number 9

46 minutes ago, Berocka said:

Ahh but in Rugby League it is number 9

okay I was talking Union... and I believe in Union they start numbering in the front row from Loosehead prop (1) to Fullback (15)... Number nine would be Scrum-Half in Union...

9 minutes ago, Daniel Janser said:

okay I was talking Union... and I believe in Union they start numbering in the front row from Loosehead prop (1) to Fullback (15)... Number nine would be Scrum-Half in Union...

Yeah League is back to front fullback is (1)

5 minutes ago, Berocka said:

Yeah League is back to front fullback is (1)

Interesting... I must admit I only ever watched Union (and not even many of those, I saw Wilkinson's famous drop kick goal in the World Cup finals many years ago, and the late Jonah Lomu's run where he steam rolled half the English team)...

8 hours ago, BOOM said:

I went down the rabbit warren of watching YT Rugby Hits. Brian Lima was a beast.

TBH the rugby clips I enjoy most are Nigel Owens'... it is just refreshing how much respect there is for the ref in rugby (by and large)

On 3/16/2022 at 9:39 AM, BOOM said:

In before you have to explain this to most of the North Americans. 

Either that, or they just see it and go "fair enough".🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, BOOM said:

The Red and Yellow cards are a powerful tool 😁

Well they are in football as well... in theory... the refs just do not have the guts/power to use it accordingly for fear of their life and limb...

Whereas in the Macho sport of Rugby a tiny Welshman who is openly gay, reprimands 6 feet+, 20 stone+ players when they do not behave and the only answer he gets is 'Yes, sir' 

Edited by Daniel Janser