So what now?

AJW

The Los Angeles Stars just recently had two killer seasons, finishing 4th in NA in S81 and 2nd in Na in S82. The roster was built for success and even though we came up short in the end, the team had a really good time both seasons. Unfortunately though the band is breaking up. Players are either retiring, being traded, or just not resigning. It is crazy to me that in only four seasons I am the only one left since my S79 draft year. I did not even play S79 as I stayed down in the VHLM. So basically in three seasons everyone is gone! I get that a majority of players who left were veterans in their last season, but that was only half of the squad. I wanted to get a visual of what the f happened this off-season so here we go.

OUT Reason IN Reason
(S75) Pistil Stamen - F Retired (S82) Eldon Escobar - F Traded
(S75) Vick Fairchild - F Retired (S81) Cooper Skambraks - F Traded
(S75) Dan Dan - F Retired (S76) Magnus Verlander - F Traded
(S78) Henri le Massif - F Traded (S77) Barron Kuulenstien - D Traded
(S80) Florida Man - F Traded (S81) Cameron Elsby - D Traded
(S78) Tui Sova - D Traded (S76) Tater Tot - G Traded
(S82) Tavish DeGroot - D Traded S84 Riga 2nd  
(S77) Jan Hlozek - D Traded S84 PRG 2nd  
(S75) Kevin Wu - D Retired S83 MOS 4th  
(S75) Rara Rasputin - G Retired S83 WAR 4th  
(S75) Trent Gibson - G Retired    

So as you can see from my lovely spreadsheet, in one off-season alone, the Los Angeles Stars have lost their entire S82 roster besides my player. It is honestly sad that everyone has left and weird in a way. For the players retiring, obviously you do not have a choice. But the players traded basically all just wanted out after a new GM was hired and our veterans left. I'm not targeting you traded players and calling you traitors in any way, but it is wild to think that 5/6 of us remaining from S82 are now gone. I wish you all the best of luck and hopefully we can slap your teams around one day. The team now consists of myself, the only player above 500 TPE, and four other players. Two forwards, two defenseman, one goalie. Not to mention, only three of us are above the 400 TPE VHL minimum with the other two in the call up range. We do have two or three players who will be eligible for call up once S83 hits, but the depth is surely not there and we will have to rely on drafts and patience to build up a roster again.

Something that I find cool is that IR is building some great depth with prospect trading and draft picks. 3/6 of the players traded for are young players only with one or two seasons under their belts and lots of time to develop. Four other drafts picks were acquired as well including good 2nd round picks in the S84 Entry Draft. We now have four picks in the upcoming S83 Entry Draft (one 2nd, three 4ths) and eight picks in the S84 Entry Draft (two 1sts, four 2nds, one 3rd, one 4th). If the rules are the same as the VHLM where you can only have 3 1sts and 3 2nds in one draft, then an S84 2nd will have to go. But I am sure we can get some value from that if necessary. So I really do not have any doubt that Los Angeles will be a strong team again in the next 4-5 seasons. Unfortunately this will most likely be when I am retiring, but you never know. Another thing to consider is that IR was the recent GM for Rome in the VHLE after being promoted. The VHLE has had three winners in it's three season existence and IR has been the winning GM in all three. So if that does not give you some confidence to what he can do then I do not know what will.

What do all of these changes mean to AJ Williams? Nothing. I devoted my career to Los Angeles in S81 when I signed a four season contract extension. Meaning I will be signed to Los Angeles for an extended S82-S85 length. The only way I can leave is if I am traded or I sign to a different team in S86 for my final season under UFA's. I honestly do not have plans to leave. When all of the new GM commotion started this off-season, I had thoughts of requesting a trade but then I came to the conclusion that Los Angeles was my first ever team (I am a first gen member) and why would I want to leave when I could create some history for the Stars. Pistil Stamen was the captain for the Stars the past couple seasons and was probably the most loyal player in franchise history as LA is a newer expansion team. I have been watching his player perform the past few seasons since being drafted and want to mirror what he has done for LA. Seeing his player since I was drafted also kept me determined to stay in Los Angeles as he recently took control of the franchise's most points role. That is something I have wanted to beat ever since Jeffrey Pines had the glory. I am already 11th all time with 222 points, so why not keep going? I am shy of Stamen's career PPG and will have one less season than him since I stayed an extra season in the VHLM, but with the future minutes and roles my player will see with LA's roster crisis, I could potentially shoot off like a rocket in the point category. My fait is in IR's lovely hands and whatever he decides goes. If I am trade, it is what it is, if he keeps me, I am totally fine with that.

So in conclusion, this off-season was something most teams rarely see, but it is the reality of Los Angeles and as the most likely to win captain role, I am excited for my player to battle with the underdog title that LA will receive. 

1047 words - claiming April 3, April 10

Edited by ajwllmsn