Analysis of VHLE Team Names Series Finale: Stockholm and Vasteras

Will3

Welcome, my friends, to the last analysis of the VHLE team names I will do. The end of this journey takes me to Sweden to two cities less than 100km apart with a long and complicated history in the  VHL. Strap yourself in cause the the road to the finish might be a little bumpy.

The Stockholm Viking have not had the best time in their first iteration. The team was founded after a VHL team relocation around S40 and would sadly last just under 20 seasons  folding alongside the original Cologne Express. Again, funny how that worked out.  I don't need to describe the vikings to you in great detail. They managed to carve out a legacy in a couple of centuries as traders, raiders, and explorers. They are up there with the cowboy, the knight and a the samurai as the greatest warriors in history. Their legacy thrives today with much popular culture a byproduct of this legacy, even if some of this legacy is based on untrue clichés and stereotypes. The name is perfect for the region and shouldn't be changed at all.

It is with the Vasteras Iron Eagles where we see the complicated history of the VHL. In the first days, Vasteras had both a VHL and a VHLM team thus giving this small city the distinction of being the only city to host a team in every level of the VHL. (The VHLM Vasteras team became the Moscow Red Wolves I talked about last week.) After a brief and unwanted relocation to Madrid, the team would return to Vasteras this time with the Iron Eagles name. They would stay put for about 20 seasons until morphing into the Stockholm Viking. This makes having both of these teams in the same league, at the same time very interesting. The name it self is also bit confusing as it can refer to many things. It is lkely a reference to the sea eagle which is common in Sweden and much of Europe. Being a bit more literally, iron eagles are often used to top high metallic structures like weather vanes. There is also the military slang term that refers to a colonel that will not be promoted. Other uses of the term such as the name of a MC seems be not directly connected but I might be wrong about that. I am unsure what the true reference is and I will let you decide what you think about what the origins of this name truly is.

And now the ned has truly come. I have enjoyed looking for and finding new and surprising bits of information. I hope you have enjoyed this series as much as I enjoyed writing it. I now have information on the distance past of the VHL. I believe I shall use this information to dig up some dead and analyzing them for you enjoyment. Look for this new series in two weeks as I will be taking a brief break for personal things. Have a great day, my friends and #StandwithUkraine. 🇺🇦 

Edited by Will3

I'm glad that you got to Vasteras. I've long wondered about the nickname Iron Eagles - to be honest it always makes me think of Nazis and the Iron Cross. I'm grateful that nothing you came up with to describe the origins of the team name has to do with those shitheads. Grammatically there were a few errors and the writing, particularly in the final paragraph, was a little choppy, but it didn't take away from the content. 9.5/10

Nice job on the media spot! I didn't know that Stockholm and Vasteras had previous VHL and VHLM teams but now I do. You give a good analysis of both the teams but especially so in your paragraph about Vasteras. Next time, you could include some headings to help make it really clear and give it a clear structure. Also, try catch some of the spelling mistakes next time. Overall, good job. 9/10