Payne's picks

Scurvy

As the new season of hockey is about to start, I’d like to talk about who I think is going to be dominant in the VHL this season.  There are so many great players with massive TPE and abilities so it’s exciting to see how the new attribute changes will change or increase player’s stats as the season begins.

First, SCORING TITLE. 

It’s hard to predict but let’s chat about some of the scoring beasts in the league this season.  

Jerome Reinhart- one of the favorites for sure as last year on a solid Vancouver team he had 59 goals 82 assists for 141 points.  That’s massive and he had 713 shots which is insane.  

Matt Avens- Still a youngster and had a whopping 55 goals 77 assists for 132 points.  

Nils Godlander- 53 goals 78 assists for 131 and threw in a nice 213 in hits.  He plays with grit and can score the nasty goals.  

Brogden Trunov- My personal pick to win the scoring title this year (he is my teammate).  He had 52 goals 82 assists for 134 points.

Duncan Idaho- 52 goals 73 assist and 125 points on a tough Moscow team.  What makes this dude even scarier is hehad 127 PIMS and 377 hits.  This TPE machine can play, fight, and hit his way to a scoring title perhaps.  

There are many more that could be added to this list and maybe even some sleepers who could make it into the top 5 but this is my list and I’m excited to see where it shakes out.  My pick is Trunov leading the Preds to a great season.

BEST DEFENSMAN

This is a subject that is close to my heart as I played defense growing up in hockey and chose my first ever VHL player as a defensive defenseman.  I will never probably be on this list but if we win games, I am happy.  Without further here is my list. 

Battre Sandstrom- My first pick In the VHLF draft this dude is scary.  25g -99 A- 124 points he can defiantly lead his team from the back and plays a nasty game with 136 PIM, 2298 hits, and 167 SB.    

Hard Markinson- big bruising defenseman had 25g-87a-112 points, 158 PIM and 257 hits.  

Tom Eagles- Another huge Dman capable of soft and hard hands when he needs them.  21 goals 84 assists- 105 pts with 148 PIM and 217 hits.  

Kristof Welch- a smaller quick Dman he posted 24g 84a-108 points.  Hes made the rounds on some teams so look for him to settle in and post some bigger numbers this year.  

Tui Sova- 29G 69A-98 points and 214 hits.  

Hari Singh Nalwa- 20G-69A-89 points and 105 hits.  Look for Nalwa to explode this season as the #1 Dman on Warsaw.  With a reliable and talented D partner in Tavish Degroot and a solid team in front of him I expect Nalwa to be In the scoring leaders for Defenseman this year. 

Honorable mention- Tavish Degroot @rory Rory and Bo Johansson @Shindigs.  Both are studs and TPE machines, so I expect both to be Defensive nightmares this season and beyond

Well, there you have it my picks for top score and best defenseman this year.  I could talk more but I’m at 553 words and I’m done. 

Thanks for the mention, but something tells me Bo's 9 points in 5 games in the pre-season won't last into the regular season.😅 The Payne Train has been doing some work early in the pre-season too. But realistically I think everyone in our draft class is still a couple season out of contending for the big awards. ROTY race could be quite interesting though.🤔