A Sit-Down Interview with Fraser Wallace

Hoopydog

With the new VHLM season officially underway we have managed to get an exclusive interview one of its up-and-coming prospects, Fraser Wallace. He is currently a member of the San Diego Marlins and was drafted by them 14th overall in the most recent VHLM draft. This season is a showcase season for Wallace as he will be eligible for both of the next VHLE and VHL drafts. Without further ado, here is our interview with Fraser Wallace.

Reporter: “Good afternoon, Fraser and thank you very much for doing this interview with us. How are you doing?”

Wallace: “Hey thanks for having me. Yeah, I’m doing good, with the season just around in the corner I’m making the final adjustments to my game but I’m feeling good and the team is feeling good too.”

Reporter: “That’s good to hear. We’ve got a few things to talk about but let’s start with draft day. You’ll obviously remember it well but you were drafted 14th overall by Frank and the San Diego Marlins. Talk us through the run up to the draft and the actual day itself.”

Wallace: “My VHL career has been kinda nuts honestly even though it’s been a short one so far. I came in late last season and was playing over in Vegas so I was thrown straight into the thick of it. Unfortunately, that didn’t go the way we wanted it to but we gave it our all and we were proud of our efforts. Once the playoffs were over, I went back home to Glasgow and spent some time with my family. I was worried about the draft honestly.”

Reporter: “Really? What were you worried about?”

Wallace: “Yeah, I was quite nervous because I only had one chat with a GM before the draft and that was Shindigs. He was just doing some preliminary scouting on the Vegas guys who were eligible but apart from that I spoke to no one so I didn’t know where I was going to end up.”

Reporter: “You ended up going 14th overall to the San Diego Marlins. How did it feel to see your name go on the draft board at 14th?”

Wallace: “I was really happy to go to San Diego. They were on of the teams that I was hoping I was going to go to so I was happy they decided to pick me. As you’re watching the picks being made and you’re touted as a top prospect in the draft, the further down the order it goes the more and more you get edgy so it was nice to get taken off the board quickly for sure”

Reporter: “Yeah, I get how that can be nail biting just waiting for your name to get called out and see where you’re heading. How are you finding things in San Diego?”

Wallace: “I’ve enjoyed being here a lot so far, the GM Frank was keen to get me over here as soon as I could so I sort of quickly packed up the rest of my things and headed on over here. We’ve got a tight knit group here which has helped me settle in which is nice. Lots of use are in the same boat as we were all pretty much drafted and are new to the city so that’s nice.”

Reporter: “And what sort of goals do you have for the upcoming season? Either personal or team goals?”

Wallace: “I try not to worry too much about setting goals or specific targets for the season. My main aim is to just play the best hockey that I can and support my team the best I can. There’s a good vibe in amongst the team right now. We know what we are capable and were a good team. Don’t see why we can’t go all the way and be the last team standing at the end of the season.”

Reporter: “Obviously before you were drafted, you were back in Scotland seeing family and what not. I assuming you were doing some off ice work just making sure you’ll be fit for the season. What sort of training did you do and what improvements have you made to your game?”

Wallace: “Yeah, I’ve been doing a fair bit just to get myself in best a shape as I can. You don’t want to show up to training camp unfit and not ready you know. I was mostly doing just sprints and weights making sure I’m as strong, fast and fit as I possibly can be. Artair McCloud also reached out to me and offered to come down to the rink and help me improve my game which has been a real help and you’ll see a big difference when I next take to the ice”

Reporter: “We asked our audience for some questions that they wanted to ask so we’ve got some here. First one is what is your go to pre-game meal?”

Wallace: “My go to meal is usually some kind of cheesy pasta bake. Either a really good mac n cheese or a carbonara style one. Maybe not the best thing to eat right before a game but it helps me settle right down and get in the zone.”

Reporter: “Next question here, what, if any, pre-game rituals do you do before a game?”

Wallace: “I’ve got a few, everyone does. You’ll never meet a hockey player that doesn’t have a specific thing they do before a game. I always like to juggle the puck on my stick before I leave warmups, I dunno sort of helps me get a better feel for the puck. The other one I have but it’s not really a ritual just more of my way of doing things is that I always tape my stick last so it the last thing I do before I head onto the ice.”

Reporter: “Well I’m afraid that’s all we have time for, Fraser thank you very much for joining us and we wish you the best of luck for the season.”

Wallace: “No problem, I’ll speak to you again so”

So that was our interview with Fraser Wallace, he will definitely be one to watch this season.

1034 Words

Claiming for weeks ending 24/04 & 1/05