Starting Slowly in the VHL

Ozzy Batty

I joined this league as a way to experience things from the other side of sim leagues for a change. I am an owner in 2 other sim leagues and now have 2 hockey players going through this process, in different leagues. Yes, that in itself can get confusing! But everyone here has been wonderful in helping me get things figured out. I cannot thank you enough for that.

How is my plan to just "experience things" going? Remember, I wanted a place to just enjoy the process and not get too involved. I got my player created, wasnt sure what I was doing, but got some advice and think I created a good starting build for a 16 year old Right Winger who is more interested in assists than goals. Dont get me wrong, scoring goals is great, but I am not an attention hog, I have no problem at all setting up my star Center to make the goals. But from there, Otis Boudreaux, Right Winger of the VHL was born. Within hours of my player creation, I had joined a VHL fantasy league. There isnt anything wrong with that, except I didnt know anyone in the league and with the skill distribution changing, it was all just a guessing game. I was put into a group and within a couple of days the draft for it started, that was an experience within itself. Okay, in a fantasy league, going to just ride it out and see what happens....

The preseason, I am not sure what our record was, HA, it disappeared too quickly. I do know at one point I had 4 assists and, if I remember correctly, 3 goals. But I do know we didnt have a strong preseason. I was able to improve my player, but as a team, we lost our goalie, so any goals we do score are quickly erased by the onslaught from the opposition. After the first week of the regular season, we are 1-4-1. I am not sure how many goals or assists I have, I havent figured out where to find the stats at yet, HAHA, but I will. I just want us to win more matches, I guess that is why I know our record and not my personal stats.

I have also found out I can earn points by writing, something that I enjoy doing, it helps me to relax and think about things other than the craziness of life. 

So how is my foray into the VHL to just enjoy the process and lay low? I have written a journal entry from my player's point of view, a game review, a media post review, now this short article and joined a fantasy league, yea, that seems quiet to me! Oh, and I get to have my good friend as a teammate, Doug Britton, so that is the icing on the cake!

I dont know what the future holds in the VHL for me and Otis, but I have enjoyed it so far and I look forward to the next part of the process (and me making sure I know which league things are in)

Have a great day and I will see you on the ice!

4 hours ago, Otis Boudreaux said:

I am not sure how many goals or assists I have, I havent figured out where to find the stats at yet, HAHA, but I will.

There's a couple ways! The easiest and user friendliest is using the "portal." You can find it by going to www.vhlportal.com, or by following the link at the top of the forum page. There's also links at the top of the page that go directly to "Standings" and "Stats." Anyway, from the portal you'll probably have to click on the VHLM tab in the top left corner, and then you can find all sorts of things!

The other method (the OG method!) is to use the index. You can find that in the same section the games are in, HERE. In the index, you can also find basically everything, though it won't display ALL the stats on mobile because the screens are too small.

I'm glad you're enjoying yourself overall! You've been doing awesome, at this rate you'll be highly sought after in the draft for sure. :cheers:

1 hour ago, JardyB10 said:

There's a couple ways! The easiest and user friendliest is using the "portal." You can find it by going to www.vhlportal.com, or by following the link at the top of the forum page. There's also links at the top of the page that go directly to "Standings" and "Stats." Anyway, from the portal you'll probably have to click on the VHLM tab in the top left corner, and then you can find all sorts of things!

To add on to this, on the manage player page is a link called player page, which takes you to your player's specific page.