Increasing Fame

der meister

"I know it's only been ten games," I remind Ryuji Sakamoto, defenseman for the Istanbul Red Wolves of the VHLE, "but what you're doing so far is tremendous." Sakamoto, for his part, opens his mouth, ready to continue the argument, but I hold up a finger and look at my laptop screen. "Ten games and twelve points, which is tied for number one in defensive scoring. Thirty-four shot blocks, which again is tied for number one in the league. Thirty-seven hits, good for eighth in the league. And let's not forget 26 minutes in the box, which is tied for third most in the league, with most of those minutes coming from roughing penalties defending your teammates." Again, Sakamoto opens his mouth, but I roll over the youth's protests. "Yes, I know you've barely started your hockey career and yes you probably won't continue the pace you're on and so forth. We've been over this all before, Ryuji. But it's okay to take some pride in what you've accomplished."

Sakamoto sighs and slumps down onto the couch. "We should get a Playbox or an X-station or something, man," he grumbles, staring at the TV, which is powered off. "I don't want to think about hockey stats all the time. Let's go do something in the city."

It's a rare day off in the VHLE, with no games or practices scheduled. Sakamoto has adjusted well to life in Istanbul, spending his time away from the rink walking around the city, particularly in the areas with more Japanese restaurants. At first, he would talk to some of the local population, just to chat in his native language, but lately, he's found that more and more people are recognizing him around town, and he's been staying inside the apartment more often. Given that change in local fame, it's a bit surprising to hear him suggest going out.

"Anywhere in particular you want to go?" I ask, pivoting away from my laptop screen. "You know the chances are you'll be recognized, what with that hair of yours."

Sakamoto scruffs a hand through his bleach blonde hair. "I'll put on a disguise, man!" he says with a burst of enthusiasm. "I used to wear a disguise a lot, back in Japan." Before I can ask any follow-up questions about the curious comment, he scampers out of the living room and into his bedroom. My eyebrow quirks when he returns a few minutes later wearing a black leather jacket with the collar popped up, and a red bandana tied around his neck and hanging down his front like a tie. He's also wearing a black beanie cap with a small white skull embroidered on the front, and he's grinning broadly.

"Well," I ask, "what do you want to do?" He shrugs. I turn back to my laptop and search for things to do in Istanbul. "How about the Bosphorus Strait? Looks like some interesting architecture along the water."

"Phosphorus Strait?" Ryuji gasps. "I don't wanna go there, man! Doesn't that smell like eggs or something?"

I sigh and resume my search, suddenly eager to see where Ryuji's adventure takes him, and me, next.