2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

Vermette doesn't have to worry about his contract, at the deadline he will be dealt somewhere that needs him now and they will give up what they feel they can to do that. Also Yandle is far from trash, his +/- is super bad because of Mike Smith but he is no worse at D than Subban or Karlsson.

Haha okay well the scouting reports in the East coast must be slightly fucked. I'd equally take Yandle or Subban. The description you gave is somewhat close P.K. anyways. The knock of Yandle is he gives up open shots. He is far from a defensive liability. I'd say 300 points in 540 games is somewhat productive offensively. But hey in the Western conference they play more defensively than the Eastern.

Subban is at risk because he takes some aggressive plays (like moving the puck, going for the big check) and is a bit undisciplined but in his zone, he knows how to play defense and he has a good positioning. Yandle just don't have that.

Equally take Yandle or Subban ?

naked-gun-facepalm.gif

And Western plays more defensively ?

gxBWruW.png

Yeah, right....

Edited by boubabi

You are making excuses for Subban's poor positioning. Handle is a stick to stick passer who knows how to be a power play defensemen, but saying he is trash? The guy has been one of the top 25 blue liners in the past 3 years.

Yes because GA is the most telling defensive stat. Goalies have a lot to do with that. I'm not saying it isn't a stat to bring up, but the only one? Subban playing in front of price helps his numbers. However I personally would take PK over Yandle but not so much so that it is offensive to say ootherwise. Yandle is a good player.

"Yandle is trash" - Asinine comment in reality. East coast fans don't stay up to watch west coast games so they often miss a lot of the stuff out here unless their team is playing in them. It's been like that for along as I've been alive.

Every time I saw Yandle play, he wasn't a game changer and he's been vulnerable all game long. He was awful every game that I watched and most people on HFBoard share my thoughts.

I'm not saying he should be healthy scratch, I'm saying that I won't be comfortable having him in my top 2 or top 3

Edited by boubabi

Yandle isn't a game changer, no one ever said that. He goes about his business very quietly and racks up points and makes the little plays, but thats how things get done. Game changers are great, but when they are boom or bust they tend to get talked about equally for their lack of production as much as their great production. Handle is a 45-50 point defensemen with an dependable upside. 

Every time I see Subban play I see a player with tons of skill, a PP genius but a boneheaded individual at times. Making some of the shittiest reads I've seen from a blue liner since watching Mike Green's worst year. So sure Subban is a game changer, but game changers tend to make great players and then make great mistakes that costs their teams. East bias will always be there though so I'm not worried, just makes trades and such better for fans in the west because they see the true value in both conferences.

You are saying you wouldn't put Keith Yandle in your top 3, and that is why would wouldn't cut it as a NHL GM. He is a #1a #1b guy.

That's fair, just pointing out that "Yandle is Trash" and "I wouldn't put him in my Top 3" are comments that lose credibly. What you saying is that Yandle would be below Emelin, Subban and Markov on the depth chart, which is hilarious.

Edited by Kendrick

"My" doesn't necessary mean the "Habs" team. I mean, If I build my team and you say that yandle would be on my second pair, I would rather have another player.

The Habs are really far from having a "top tier" defense.

And Emelin is far from being our 3rd defense. I think you don't watch enough Habs game. Beaulieu is filling that role atm, and we are actually looking for a solid 3rd defensemen, which we don't really have. But i'm OK in having beaulieu at 3rd at the moment.

I would personally build me defense core like that.

Offensive D - 2 way D

Shutdown D - 2 Way D

Physical D - Offensive D

Yandle can't filled the role of being a first pair D in my opinion and I wouldn't want an overpaid D like Yandle on my second pair because he doesn't fit in my "perfect" scheme. 

Edited by boubabi

"My" doesn't necessary mean the "Habs" team. I mean, If I build my team and you say that yandle would be on my second pair, I would rather have another player.

The Habs are really far from having a "top tier" defense.

If you build your team? Like an all-star team of the best players in your mind? Because thats not at all what anyone was arguing haha

No, I could probably choose a team from the NHL to compare my saying but no team is perfect. Chicago might be the one who's the nearest of "perfection" but they still have some flaws. I could probably build around the Habs but they doesn't have the wanted second pairing defense men