2014-2015 NHL Discussion

Sandro

The kid has obviously some high expectations to live up to knowing that we gave him a solid centre like Hodgson for him. Now Cody has defensive lapses coming out of every area of the rink, but I feel the Canucks would be better with Cody. My issue with Kassian is your last point, his commitment and effort level. It just appears that he is a lost puppy out there and needs direction otherwise he is a ticking time bomb ready to deliver a late hit, turnover the puck or take an unnecessary penalty. People in Vancouver are so set on having the "next Bertuzzi" that they don't notice that Kassian isn't that and won't be that. His hands are being overrated by most because so far if he had the hands that guys like Bertuzzi or Franzen had he would be able to pot goals on whichever line he is on be it the 1st, 2nd or even the 3rd. I see him as a 3rd line player like you but I only see about 20 points per year. That's great, but which round was he drafted in? He is the next Eric Fehr (without the children book). Also, get rid of that god damn haircut.

GPRj89k.jpg

Kassian isn't going to be the next Bertuzzi, I've been aware of that fact for quite some time. He doesn't even play the same style of game as him, so the comparison is stupid to begin with. His playmaking skills are vastly underrated by many, but he lacks discipline and consistency. Hodgson isn't exactly looking like a world beater these days either, so the trade is a bit of a wash. He's so bad defensively that BUFFALO has him playing the wing. It's not like having him around would make the Canucks significantly better.

If Kassian falls into that Higgins-like role where he can shift between the second and third lines while putting up 35-40 points (maybe get a 50 point season at some point in his career) then I'll be happy.

Edited by Sandro

Kassian isn't going to be the next Bertuzzi, I've been aware of that fact for quite some time. He doesn't even play the same style of game as him, so the comparison is stupid to begin with. His playmaking skills are vastly underrated by many, but he lacks discipline and consistency. Hodgson isn't exactly looking like a world beater these days either, so the trade is a bit of a wash. He's so bad defensively that BUFFALO has him playing the wing. It's not like having him around would make the Canucks significantly better.

If Kassian falls into that Higgins-like role where he can shift between the second and third lines while putting up 35-40 points (maybe get a 50 point season at some point in his career) then I'll be happy.

Fair enough. I'm referring to the thousands who think the world of him when he is the NHL version of Oscar the grouch. He is a trailer trash who put skates on and has some okay hands. People just need to stop putting so much hype on players, they do it more in Vancouver than anywhere else I've been.

^ Thank god you haven't been to toronto

That may be true, but you guys are just prancing around the truth. I don't expect it to be agreed upon too but Canuck fans find a reason to back their players even when they are shitty. Then when they get traded away they will say "Well he wasn't really useful anyways".

That may be true, but you guys are just prancing around the truth. I don't expect it to be agreed upon too but Canuck fans find a reason to back their players even when they are shitty. Then when they get traded away they will say "Well he wasn't really useful anyways".

Who was the last player we did that to? Most Canucks fans were pleased to see Luongo set free. No one's said Kesler is a bad player, just a terrible person. Garrison was atrocious last season and we needed to dump his cap hit. Unsurprisingly he's having a bounce back year.

Edited by Sandro

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what you said can be said about almost every team in any league and some of their fans.

But Canucks fans on this site (for the most part *cough cough*), have a realistic point of view about things so directing the comments at us doesn't really add any merit to what you're saying.

Regarding Kassian though, he's useless and I rather him out of the lineup than in. If we get him for 4th/3rd line money when his contract is up I'll be happy, if not, trade him for picks or something. Doesn't really add anything to our lineup but the odd nice play. For a dude his size he rarely ever takes it to the net with power. I like him as a team rat to get under the skin of the opposition but on D he can be a liability. I said it 3-4 years ago and I'll say it now, I would have much rather kept Cody, even if he had "problems" with the team.

Edited by 8Ovechkin8

I'm not saying you're wrong, but what you said can be said about almost every team in any league and some of their fans.

But Canucks fans on this site (for the most part *cough cough*), have a realistic point of view about things so directing the comments at us doesn't really add any merit to what you're saying.

Regarding Kassian though, he's useless and I rather him out of the lineup than in. If we get him for 4th/3rd line money when his contract is up I'll be happy, if not, trade him for picks or something. Doesn't really add anything to our lineup but the odd nice play. For a dude his size he rarely ever takes it to the net with power. I like him as a team rat to get under the skin of the opposition but on D he can be a liability. I said it 3-4 years ago and I'll say it now, I would have much rather kept Cody, even if he had "problems" with the team.

True but I was speaking as a whole from the people I've talked too everywhere around this city when the Canucks are brought up. It tends to be a vast overrating of talent a lot of the time. True in most markets that happens but like I said, I'm not taking it from one city. I'm taking it from everywhere I've been. Hell in New Jersey I found that if a guy sucked, the fans let him know instead of telling him he has "tons of potential". I can't say it works entirely but 3 cups later and those players were either shipped away or left hockey.

I'm not saying you guys overrate them persay, I'm saying that from the majority of people around this city, they do. I like Sandro, I really do (so this isn't painting him negatively) but at times it comes up where one day that player is considered GOD and people join the faith and the next day the player is worst than Byron Ritchie and they seem to only bring out his positives. Casein is one of those guys where the fancies seems to back him no matter what.

When he does something stupid I've heard "Oh what a beauty, just an everyday greaser". When really people should be calling it like it is "boneheaded idiotic". Trust me we have shitty players in New Jersey, but the difference is that we call them shitty players, don't paint them with a good brush.

There's fans in New Jersey?  :ph34r:

I can't speak for New Jersey, but there's a fan of the Devils right here in Vancouver. Although I've stated that here before.

Kassian's supposed to have a jump this season and he hasn't shown it. He doesn't do a lot of the things on the ice that is expected of him. Although he's been reduced to a 3rd liner and more of a checker in the past few games, but he doesn't do overly well with that either.

I'm with the opinion that Cody Hodgson would have been better here. He could have centered Kesler and Kesler could have made up for Cody's horrible defense. Even now with Bonino, Hodgson still has the skills of a 2nd line winger at least.

Kassian on the other hand, you'll get a nifty play from him maybe once or twice a game and never notice him for the rest of it. Sure he has potential, but he had the same potential last year as well.

Jensen has been called up from Utica after playing well and scoring like he's been projected to. If Jensen can translate that to the NHL like he did last season in his early stages of NHL hockey(he fell off later on), then he should probably get the ice over Kassian.

The Canucks have enough checkers. We need more guys with actual skill, not a bunch of lines of checking style players. That's why nothing was happening last year either, as without the Sedins performing the rest of the team barely has any finish.

You got Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Matthias, and even Kassian right now all the same kind of player. Thank goodness we have a finisher in Vrbata and Bonino added to the team this year. There's actually 2 lines that can score.

I'm with the opinion that Cody Hodgson would have been better here. He could have centered Kesler and Kesler could have made up for Cody's horrible defense. Even now with Bonino, Hodgson still has the skills of a 2nd line winger at least.

You got Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Matthias, and even Kassian right now all the same kind of player. Thank goodness we have a finisher in Vrbata and Bonino added to the team this year. There's actually 2 lines that can score.

Kesler constantly bitched and moaned about having to play the wing. Do you think for a second that would've worked out if he was permanently moved there? C'mon.

Comparing the players you did is kind of silly to me. I wouldn't call them the same player at all. I wish I could combine Kassian's hands with Matthias' work ethic, that'd definitely be nice. But Burrows, Higgins, and Hansen all play very different games from those two.

Kesler constantly bitched and moaned about having to play the wing. Do you think for a second that would've worked out if he was permanently moved there? C'mon.

Comparing the players you did is kind of silly to me. I wouldn't call them the same player at all. I wish I could combine Kassian's hands with Matthias' work ethic, that'd definitely be nice. But Burrows, Higgins, and Hansen all play very different games from those two.

He was referring to what type of difference they make and he is right. Matthias, Higgins, Burrows and Hansen aren't game breakers and can't change a game when they step on the ice. When they score or produce it's more being in the right place than it is making a play. If you think for a second thats wrong you are valuing them either too high or too low. To me none of those players can make a difference come the last 5 minutes of the game. Whereas other teams have players on both their 1st and 2nd lines that can explode.

Matthias is a joke, I honestly hate him so much especially considering we traded him and Marky for an elite goaltender. (But please do not give me a smartass response Sandro, because I am simply stating my opinion).