Jokinen set to retire?

jRuutu

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR7-4Yh9b3JtDyQc5c8hIb

Leaves, green and full of life slowly fade away as the fall gets closer.  A similar sensation can be seen when looking at the career of Erlantz Jokinen. Once so promising and bright is slowly turning into a pile of burned-out light bulbs. Where is the sparkle? Where is the oomph?  Jokinen has played 358 games in VHL, he has 293 points in those games. Many expected the ongoing season to be a traditional career season as usually players tend to be in their prime just before the first depreciation hit. Not Jokinen though, this was not a prime season, 58 points in 72 games is the second-worst total in his career.  Only Jokinen's rookie season was worse. Granted, Jokinen managed to score 19 goals, which is the best in his career, but more was expected this season.

Instead of securing a juicy contract after playing a great year, Jokinen is now facing an uncertain future in VHL. Is Helsinki or any team interested in having a defender that earns prime dollars, but might not necessarily produce on the same level? Let's not forget the rumors regarding teams potentially facing cap struggles. Taking a risk on a player like Jokinen could come back to haunt you almost immediately.

there-are-many-lovely.jpg

Yesterday Jokinen was seen at a local park talking to a homeless person.  The homeless person turned out to be a mega-rich hipster, but Jokinen without his glasses on thought the man needed help, he gave him 5 euros and talked to him briefly. The hipster stated that Jokinen said he might retire early and focus on something else than hockey. According to the hipster, Jokinen is tired of the VHL world and chasing championships. When the hipster asked what that meant Jokinen got up and started walking.

The ongoing season is getting closer and closer to its end. The finals and the season are more than likely over in 10 or so days, so the free agency madness is just around the corner. No official contract news has been released from Helsinki and only four deals around the league have been announced lately, so the start to the free agency window could be a quiet one. Are players and managers going to wait it out and see what other players are doing? Helsinki could quickly turn into a free agent landing spot as players like Ori and Booberry are under contract already. Add even one quality signing and not that many teams can compete. That could also mean that the Helsinki organization is going to take things slowly, they are not in a hurry to make moves. If other teams are going to follow the same strategy we might see some players getting burned gloriously if they wait too long.

This is going to be an interesting off-season. The trade deadline was extremely quiet. Not that many contracts have been announced. What is going to happen around the league? Where is Jokinen going to play? Or is he going to play?

review: This was a nice media spot to read, as I'm debating what I'm gonna do with Ori, I can relate to this. I think you give a good reason for why Jokinen would be considering retirement with his lowest point totals since his first season. I think the bit with homeless guy that is super rich was pretty funny to. I really like the pictures as well as they give some perspective to his state of mind and where he's at it. (literally in the park) Spacing is all good and there's enough here to chew on, I think it's well paced and a solid read. 8.5/10