These WJC GM's

jRuutu

1myuho.jpg

Can you imagine my excitement? I got hired for my first ever general managing job in VHL. I have seen so many great GMs from close, and now it's my turn to put on the suit. I'm the Team Asia general manager for the upcoming WJC! Sure, a tournament is different than a regular-season as I just pick the team and do the lines. I don't have to draft or worry about contracts, but I think there are still some similarities, and I'm glad that I get to try how it goes. I'm under no illusions, I know this will be a monumental challenge, and I know how difficult it is to do work around the lines. It takes time and effort. You need to truly know what type of players you have on the team and who you are playing against. I think in a tournament it's extremely valuable to have the ability to adapt and change game plans depending on who you playing against.

The same goes for picking the roster. You can't do it in a hurry or without a plan as this is an international tournament, for active players and users this tournament can be a highlight of the season, maybe even the highlight of their career so far. That is why the active users and future stars of the league are put into the spotlight as they should. Picking old players, semi-actives, or even inactive is something nobody wants to see. 

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

That is exactly what some general managers are doing with their rosters. Can you imagine picking S81 welfare users or S82 inactive when there are younger and active options too? Players that could maybe use this opportunity? Some countries/teams have deeper player pools than others, so sometimes there are no options, but I can already see some teams have picked players that should not be allowed to play because they have not updated at any time lately. Sure, they are better, but why are you picking a player that was last updated in April? 

What a shameful display from the managers. 

Another thing that I found interesting is the "draft", you might know that certain smaller countries/teams can pick players that were not picked by the bigger countries/teams. There are no rules on how many players I could pick up this way. At the moment, it's looking like I will pick 5 or so players from other countries/teams. Team Asia does not have enough active players or even semi-active players, many of the players in the player pool are also retired, so that is the way it goes sometimes, I will have to use players from other countries to finish the roster. It's quite odd to think that I could soon have a few Americans and a few Canadians playing for Team Asia. But I guess that is still better than for example using some retired players. 

Interesting tournament coming up. I don't know exactly who might be the favorite to win it all, but I'm hoping we see tight games and some surprises too!

es and some surprises too!