Claimed:An Interview with Christoph Klose: pt 1/2

der meister

When retired SHL legend Christoph Klose announced that he would be attempting a comeback in the rival VHL, he was met with both skepticism and excitement. "I just want to give it a shot and see what happens," Klose said in the press conference. The German-born superstar referenced the team that he is the General Manager for, the Seattle Riot, saying that they would still be a daily priority for him during this comeback but that he also had utmost confidence in his Assistant General Manager, Chris McZerhl, when it came time to take care of the random day-to-day issues that crop up with being a part of a professional sports team's management group.

miroslav-klose-abschied-540x304.jpg

A fit and healthy Klose at his VHL Introduction press conference.

Entered into the VHLM waiver draft, Klose was picked up by the Bratislava Watchmen, a quiet team with very little success or excitement as they headed into the final stretch of an abomination of a season. Klose's arrival sparked some interest, but even putting up 26 points in 29 games wasn't enough to get the Watchmen out of the European cellar. Klose averaged over four shots a game during his time with the Watchmen, and even showed a surprising physical side, ending his short stint with 66 hits.

After the VHLM playoffs concluded, the Entry Draft was held, and to the confusion of many in the press, the 36-year-old winger dropped down the rankings, even being selected after a player who had never practiced in his life. That player, incidentally, went to Bratislava.

"The VHLM draft was a kick in the ass for sure," Klose admitted. "I'm definitely not used to being an oversight, especially after becoming a Hall of Famer in the SHL. When the Oslo Storm selected me, I was angry, but not at them. I was angry at every single team that passed me up. I know that I'm a lot older than these kids who I'm being drafted with, but I feel like I have the ability and desire to play a long, solid career in the VHL. If they let me, I'd play until I'm 50, but I think they have rules against that. So the VHLM Draft is definitely a motivating factor. As a General Manager, you never want to make other General Managers look stupid because then they might never trade with you again, but as a player, I have made it my goal to make other General Managers look like fools for discrediting me or ignoring me. This is no different."

Klose has played heavy minutes for the Storm all season and has produced at a significant clip. With 60 goals and 126 points in 72 games, Klose ranked first in scoring for right wingers, 19 points ahead of the second-place Magnus Hertzberg. The 60 goal season was the 7th most in the VHLM this season. "It's great to put up these kinds of stat lines, but honestly, my game isn't here yet. I'm still feeling pretty rusty," Klose admitted before switching gears.

miro-klose-514.jpg

Klose, about to literally switch gears.

End Part 1

Please note that this is my media submission for next week (9-21 -> 9-27)

Edited by der meister

• Senior Admin

Content: 3/3

Nice read. I was also very surprised when you were still available when my pick came up. I'm quite happy about it though, you were the steal of the draft for sure, especially with the numbers you put up this season!

Grammar: 2/2

nothing, great!

Appearance: 1/1

Looks good to me.

Overall: 6/6

• 2 weeks later...