Scoish Velociraptor Maloish - Prospect Scouting Report

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish is the newest member of the Calgary Wranglers after being drafted 8th overall. He had quite the journey to get to his new home. How did he get to this position? Let's take a trip back to where it all started and other scouting reports:

VHLM

In his first season, he joined the Houston Bulls as a waiver signing to get his feet wet in the newest competition. With the new squad, he was a small piece of the puzzle that made it to the finals. Unfortunately, the Bulls and Maloish fell short in the finals. This was the first taste of playoffs and only motivated Maloish to want more.

"It sucks losing in the finals after a great season. I know I wasn't with the team the whole year but you can tell that these guys are very passionate. This loss was just a heartbreaker for them so it hits harder for me. I hope they can get their time in the spotlight after this." - Exit interview

VHLE

After declaring that he wanted a more significant challenge, Maloish was brought to the VHLE as a free agent. There he signed with the Rome Gladiators where he struggled to find his footing at first. Once he got the ball rolling, he was scoring and feeling good. So when the GM approached him about getting traded at the deadline it was a new challenge for Maloish. He knew that he had to work twice as hard and impress everyone as he was traded for valuable pieces. That trade sent Maloish to the Bratislava Watchmen, who at the time were fighting for a playoff spot with a comfortable lead. While he didn't shine in the regular season with the Watchmen he was able to grow and get to showcase his talent in the playoffs. In 12 games, Maloish was able to outscore himself in the regular season with 3 goals and 6 assists on the road to winning the cup in the VHLE.

"Getting handed the cup was absolutely surreal. They always say at the moment it feels like air and they are 1000% right. Once it goes over your head it is all adrenaline taking over. This Watchmen squad was an absolute blast and I was honored to be traded here. It will be an experience I will never forget." - Maloish after he hoisted the cup

So that leads us to today. Maloish is joining his teammates as they try to take on the North American Conference and get to the top of the VHL mountain. It may not happen right away, but Maloish knows he will try his best and do whatever it takes to lift that cup again.

Pros:

Poke Checking - An aggressive defenseman who isn't afraid to use his stick to get the puck loose.
Defensive Vision - Able to react to developing plays and maintain composure to stop pucks in the defensive end.
Passing - Unselfish plays to enhance plays and drive the puck up the neutral zone and offensive zone.

Cons:

Wrist Shot - Unable to control the puck while shooting as a wrist shot. Needs to develop to get key rebounds or screened shots through to the goalie
Deking - Not creative enough to find puck movement in tight quarters with opposing forwards / defenseman. Needs to get some puck control to gain an advantage in key situations
Fighting - Not afraid to step up for fallen teammates but unable to revitalize the momentum with the fight. Not as important for his overall game.

Final Verdict

While Scoish Velociraptor Maloish has his ups and downs, one thing is certain. He is a very motivated individual who isn't afraid to lay his body on the line to help the team succeed. I think he will be a top penalty killer in the league in the near future. Watch out for this rookie.