Tensions Rise Around Star Goaltender Cole Pearce

N0HBDY

Recently the relationship between the London United and goaltender Cole Pearce has been anything but good. When the new GM of the United was introduced Cole made it clear what his goals were, win. After trading away one of their star players Nils Godlander in the recent offseason Cole was optimistic about how his team would perform without the star forward but willing to stick it out in hopes of the team having a good season. But due to the team’s performance 20 games in, Cole's mindset has changed.

Just recently it was said that Cole Pearce was, “no longer happy playing in London” and that he loves the franchise but cannot stand the performance of the team and uncertain future of it. He voiced his concerns to the GM of London which could be taken as a trade request from Cole.

Shortly after this conversation accusations were launched from London management towards Davos management alleging there was tampering of their star goaltender Cole Pearce in a conversation between Cole and the Davos GM. The situation is further being looked into by the league’s commissioners who will determine if there truly was tampering of the player or not.

As someone with (semi-) behind the scenes access to London's plans, the team is certainly in a difficult spot. I won't get into the Godlander situation but it wasn't quite what we'd hoped would happen in the offseason...things took a step back when we lost our best player at our thinnest position, and that was pretty much the direct opposite of the plan.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes you lose for no reason (I would know all about that). STHS works in mysterious ways and it's hard to guarantee success anywhere. For what it's worth, I'd chalk up this season so far to an unexpected offseason and some less-than-great sim luck. It would be unrealistic to expect the roster as is to dominate, but expecting it to be competitive is fair. There's still a very real chance that London could be a playoff team (especially if deadline day goes well). 

From an as-neutral-as-possible point of view and as a goalie builder myself, I wonder what the market for a goalie even looks like in the league now. Most teams have who they want and I'd think not many (if any) who want to compete this season have an outright need for one.

Edited by Gustav