my interest in the NYA GM opening

scoop

The last time interviews were being held for the NYA GM position (approximately one year ago when Esso stepped down following S79) I considered applying. I was still pretty fresh in my return to the league, so I did have some reservations about how invested I would be, so I held off. This time around, I have decided to apply. Quite frankly, I don't expect to make any short list for consideration. I'm not extremely active in forum discussion, I rarely do point tasks nowadays, and I have no presence in the VHL discord server. There also seems to be a great deal of interest in the New York job specifically even though Malmo is also open. While several other applicants merely stated a preference for New York while applying for both, I personally am only interested in the New York job.

For those who are unaware, I was GM of the New York Americans back in S17-S18 and then again from S22-S29. Before I took over, the franchise had a very poor history. During my second stint, I managed to take them to four consecutive finals appearances, but we never won a Cup. My successors (who happen to be three of my closer sim league friends), however, did a great job taking the team even further than I could. New York was one of the most successful franchises over the next couple decades. From S32 to S53, the team won six championships in 22 seasons (not quite as good as present-day Seattle, but still quite impressive). The Americans haven't won a cup since then, and have only appeared in the finals once. I actually had a player on the three most recent New York championships (S47, S52, S53).

In the grand scheme of things, I wasn't even GM of the team for that long of a time. However, I was heavily invested in the team. This is why I am specifically interested in the New York job. At this point, I couldn't see myself caring about a team as much as I care about New York (as much as I don't and never really did like 'Americans' as a team moniker). I very much want to see this team turn things around again, whether or not I'm at the helm.

also to whoever does get the job, if you are looking for an assistant you will be hearing from me

Edited by scoop

• Head Moderator
On 8/24/2022 at 6:00 PM, scoop said:

The last time interviews were being held for the NYA GM position (approximately one year ago when Esso stepped down following S79) I considered applying. I was still pretty fresh in my return to the league, so I did have some reservations about how invested I would be, so I held off. This time around, I have decided to apply. Quite frankly, I don't expect to make any short list for consideration. I'm not extremely active in forum discussion, I rarely do point tasks nowadays, and I have no presence in the VHL discord server. There also seems to be a great deal of interest in the New York job specifically even though Malmo is also open. While several other applicants merely stated a preference for New York while applying for both, I personally am only interested in the New York job.

For those who are unaware, I was GM of the New York Americans back in S17-S18 and then again from S22-S29. Before I took over, the franchise had a very poor history. During my second stint, I managed to take them to four consecutive finals appearances, but we never won a Cup. My successors (who happen to be three of my closer sim league friends), however, did a great job taking the team even further than I could. New York was one of the most successful franchises over the next couple decades. From S32 to S53, the team won six championships in 22 seasons (not quite as good as present-day Seattle, but still quite impressive). The Americans haven't won a cup since then, and have only appeared in the finals once. I actually had a player on the three most recent New York championships (S47, S52, S53).

In the grand scheme of things, I wasn't even GM of the team for that long of a time. However, I was heavily invested in the team. This is why I am specifically interested in the New York job. At this point, I couldn't see myself caring about a team as much as I care about New York (as much as I don't and never really did like 'Americans' as a team moniker). I very much want to see this team turn things around again, whether or not I'm at the helm.

also to whoever does get the job, if you are looking for an assistant you will be hearing from me

We are glad to have you!  My last move as interim GM was signing you :kekw:

I'm not super familiar with New York's (or any team's) history in the VHL, but it is good to hear that they made such a run when I wasn't nearly as active.  Hopefully we are back on the right track!

My main interest in being an interim manager was to put the team in a position to become a lucrative job for the next manager.

:cheers: