Not a theme week article

jRuutu

I have talked about general managers and management at least a few times in the past few months, even my latest media spot could be ok for this week. I am running out of ideas on what to talk about. Therefore, I will do something else for this week. I am not going to do the theme week.  Losing six TPE is not the end of the world for a player deep in depreciation. Apologies to those who stumbled on this media spot hoping to see something hot and spicy. This will be a fairly typical "player" article instead.

Lately, Erlantz Jokinen has been playing quite well.  In 41 games, I got 39 points. That is not terrible, but not super great either, especially when you look at my TPA rating. I am hoping the final 30 or so games will be hot. Not so long ago I put points to defense and puckhandling, I am hoping that will lead to more points purely because I am a better player now. If not, at least I can feel good about being the best possible player heading into the playoffs as I took a fair chunk of my banked TPE out of the bank and put those points to good use. Now that I have managed to lose some readers: general managers - where do you get off? Its not enough to get TPE for wearing a suit, now you need to have a special theme week in your honor as well. Yea we get it, general managing is a tough job, you can not wear the same shirt two days in a row.  

Some thoughts. "Grape" mentioned in their article that a good GM can get a user going for a meme build to change their builds. This has happened to me twice. The first time Beaviss threatened to trade me as I was building Palo to be a 40PA/40SC center. I always sensed that Beaviss and his player B.Louth had a hint of jealousy towards Palo and his ability to play carefree and free-flowing hockey: maybe passing, maybe scoring. Palo was a true artist.  I changed my build as I felt the only way B.Louth will ever reach his potential is if Palo is there next to him. The other time I was going for a "meme build" where I earn the max salary right away as I enter the league. This backfired as I was not scouted by the team I was drafted. I faced a tough dilemma: do I still go for it and force a trade as the team did not have cap space, or do I just accept a lower salary? I took the lower salary. The "good GM" that Grape mentioned uses intimidation and reckless tactics to guilt the player/user to change their builds.  

I regret both decisions.

The silver lining is that without Palo and me, B.Louth would only be remembered as the guy who once played in the same team with R.Palo - the artist. Because I changed my build, B.Louth is remembered as the guy to who Palo often passed to. I elevated his game and more or less saved his career.  I took the lower salary. The silver lining in that is I have an interesting idea that I can use in the future.

In the end, I would like to say that general managers deserve more media spot and podcast attention. Their wicked ways deserve to be published, if not for any other reason than for the good people of VHL to have something to talk about.  General managers themselves should publicly throw players under the bus in media spots and podcasts if not for any other reason than for the good people of VHL to have something to talk about.  That is what VHL and these leagues are all about, stories and thoughts that make us laugh and feel.