When to recreate?

scoop

With just one season left on Taylor Mourning's ultimately disappointing career, I'm definitely looking toward my next player. With the details of my player determined, the question that remains is when do I announce Mourning's retirement and officially create Jacob Stone (if that is still the name I've decided to go with)? It used to be that the best time to create a player was the trade deadline. This would give you the most amount of time to earn TPE before your draft. If you lose out on a few weeks, other players in your class would have an edge. This was important, because your career clock started with your draft year.

Things have changed since the league added the VHLE. Your career clock, so far as I'm aware, begins when you enter the VHL. I'm not entirely clear on the rules so far as when you are forced to go to the VHL, but as I see it, the way to maximize your skills in the VHL is to be at whatever the VHLE TPE cap is on the cut-off week, then spend that entire season in the VHLE banking TPE. This is how you can begin your career as a rookie in the VHL with the most possible TPE. This also would allow someone to take it easy for a while before becoming a TPE whore if their plan is to do so. Despite my last several seasons of Mourning's career possibly suggesting otherwise, I do intend to earn quite a bit of TPE with my new player at least early on in his career. TPE becomes less valuable later in their career, which makes it easy to not care about earning as much.

The fact that your career clock doesn't begin with your draft year means that creating at the deadline doesn't matter as much anymore. Unless, I suppose, you had aspirations of specifically being the highest TPE player in your draft at the time of the draft, or you wanted to go straight into the VHL after being drafted. The biggest upside to going straight to the VHL is that you can get a 9th season in the VHL. When this first came out, I think someone wrote an article about why a player will be better off with an 8-season career, but getting to play 9 seasons is still something, and I'll have to investigate that a little bit more on my own to determine if that's what I want to do.

As I see it, I'm considering three different times for retirement/re-creating:

1. Retire Mourning as soon as I can so that he still plays an eighth season. The TPE I would earn for him during his final season would have minimal impact, so I may as well move on to my new player.

2. Retire Mourning at the S86 trade deadline. This would be the choice if I ultimately decide I want to go for a 9-season career with my next player. If I do that, I'm pretty much committing myself to earning max TPE from the start.

3. Retire Mourning in the off-season following S86. I believe this would give him the opportunity to play in one more World Cup. However, it would delay the creation of my new player the longest.

So the best time to recreate is still at the trade deadline for all the same reasons as before.

Your 9* season clock begins the season after your VHL draft. Regardless of what league you play in, the clock is ticking on those 9 seasons. The reason the number is now 9, is because most players will spend at least 1 season in the VHLE, still allowing for players to have the ability to play 8 VHL seasons. So long as you make it to 400TPE by the end of your first post-draft season, you still get 8 VHL seasons. While you can technically skip the VHLE (with the new 300TPE callup rules) and gain a 9th season, that seems to be rather circumstantial based on the VHL team situation, and not something you can really bank on.

50 minutes ago, scoop said:

3. Retire Mourning in the off-season following S86. I believe this would give him the opportunity to play in one more World Cup. However, it would delay the creation of my new player the longest.

I believe they've relaxed the rules on World Cup eligibility now, as I saw players in the S84 World Cup who'd retired and made a new player at the previous deadline, so I think you can still do option 2 and participate in the following World Cup

1 hour ago, jacobcarson877 said:

So the best time to recreate is still at the trade deadline for all the same reasons as before.

Your 9* season clock begins the season after your VHL draft. Regardless of what league you play in, the clock is ticking on those 9 seasons. The reason the number is now 9, is because most players will spend at least 1 season in the VHLE, still allowing for players to have the ability to play 8 VHL seasons. So long as you make it to 400TPE by the end of your first post-draft season, you still get 8 VHL seasons. While you can technically skip the VHLE (with the new 300TPE callup rules) and gain a 9th season, that seems to be rather circumstantial based on the VHL team situation, and not something you can really bank on.

So the clock on your career starts from your draft, but your clock on depreciation starts from when you enter the VHL? So it would be possible for someone to end up being auto-retired after never having to depreciate, if they spent 4+ seasons in the M/E?

• Commissioner
Just now, scoop said:

So the clock on your career starts from your draft, but your clock on depreciation starts from when you enter the VHL? So it would be possible for someone to end up being auto-retired after never having to depreciate, if they spent 4+ seasons in the M/E?

That is correct. It always used to just be season 6, 7, and 8 but if people stayed down awhile we were having instances of people in their like second season being depreciated which didn’t seem fair.

Just now, Beketov said:

That is correct. It always used to just be season 6, 7, and 8 but if people stayed down awhile we were having instances of people in their like second season being depreciated which didn’t seem fair.

That makes sense. My assumption had for some reason been that the career clock followed that same guideline, and I had always thought that was kind of weird because you could basically chill in the minors forever. I never bothered to figure out how it really worked until now that it's affecting me.

Deadline retirement it is.