Bogatyrev Proud as Express Secure VHLE Finals Berth

Bojovnik

The Cologne Express are on their way to the VHLE Finals. The German side pulled off what many are regarding a shock series victory against the Bratislava Watchmen in the S85 VHLE Semi-Finals.

The series was a back and forth affair, with both teams excelling on their home ice but struggling on the road. The Watchmen, who came into the series as the second place finishers in the VHLE regular season, won both of the opening two games in the Slovak capital.

However, when the series went back to Germany, the Express took Games 3 and 4 to level the series. Optimism was high in the Express camp after these victories, as while both games in Bratislava were even, the German side at home appeared to dominate more of the play.

Despite that, the Watchmen took Game 5 in overtime to leave them with one foot in the VHLE Finals, and the Express on the brink of elimination.

“Losing Game 5 in Bratislava was tough, as we felt that we had the better of the play. Confidence was high, but we came out flat. Bratislava are a great team, with a fantastic goalie, and he stole that game from us. It was tough to lose the second game in overtime,” Yaroslav Bogatyrev, captain of the Cologne Express, said following the loss in Bratislava.

In the first five games of the series, Cologne failed to score more than twice in a single game. That would change in Game 6.

Back at home, the Express put in arguably their best performance of the Semi-Finals. They took the game to the Watchmen in the first period, scoring three goals, to take the game away from the Slovak side. Despite a late surge by the Watchmen, the Express stood firm to set up a winner-take-all Game 7 in Bratislava.

It took just 50 seconds for the Express to take the lead in Game 7, as CDS Leb scored in the game’s opening minute to put the road side up 1-0.

The Express then doubled their advantage at 11:36 in the second frame through Matty Live. The Watchmen brought the deficit back to one just three minutes later though, although Yaroslav Bogatyrev found the back of the net with 90 seconds left in the middle stanza to restore the two-goal cushion for the road side.

Despite Dens Oden’s third period goal, Jesse Teno in the Express net stood firm as Cologne secured a historic Game 7 win.

“It’s an incredible achievement for these guys. We saw how badly we started the season, but the team rallied together. The spirit in the locker room has been fantastic, even through the tough days, and to make the finals is nothing more than we deserve. I’m hugely proud of the guys, and the whole team management, who have made this happen,” Bogatyrev said after the Game 7 victory.

The Russian-born forward has been one of the bright spots from the Cologne offense throughout the playoffs to date. Two of Bogatyrev’s three goals have been game winners, and the Nizhnii Tagil native said that he was just happy to be making a contribution.

“Winning is number one. If I can help the team win, then I am doing my job. I’m doing everything I can to help this team win. I don’t care about the personal plaudits at this stage. We need to be raising the cup in a week’s time,” the Russian forward said.

Edited by Bojovnik