Looking Back at S85

JB123

Going into this season I knew there was a lot of promise, both from a player and GM point-of-view. My first player, Nathan Powers, was entering his final season as a free agent, ultimately inking a deal with Vancouver. In addition, Oslo had a decent collection of picks and prospects coming together for a hopeful cup run. I couldn't be happier with the way the season worked out overall; I even recreated as a right wing with Oreo McFleury, brother of Skor and Reese. 

Right from the start of free agent discussions, @Frank was up front with me and committed to making the Wolves the best they could be for Season 85. While there were several great options on the table, I jumped at the opportunity to try and win a cup in my final season. Trades had already been made for Biggie Cheese, Alexandre Leduc and Wattson Power, and there were rumors of reigning MVP Nico Pearce as well as Anze Miklavz potentially signing. The season as a whole was a fantastic way to end my first career, and although we lost in seven games to the eventual champions, D.C., I had a great time with a LR of great people and activity. 

I was aiming for a significant step forward this season with the Storm, but certainly did not imagine what was to come. We were able to assemble a much fuller team than in the few seasons prior, which was at the top of my list of priorities. It was very nice having so many active and awesome people on the team. We did much better than I originally anticipated, the players leading the way through earning and activity. We had some a couple win streaks that brought a lot of excitement, but we also had some tough strings of games where we barely maintained a .500 record. The trade deadline deal for Babushka and Quinn Clark paid dividends in the long run and solved some of our defensive woes. Big thanks to @l1l KRZY l9l for strongly advocating for additions to be made. Luckily we were fortunate enough that those two players were on the block at the right time. We had explored some different options but nothing really worked out. 

I'm also glad we switched our strategy in the postseason from more offensive-minded to relying on our improved defense and Tucker Jr more. We knew he'd be the key in the Vasteras series with Matt Murdock being so consistent all season long. He without a doubt stepped up when it mattered most, as did the entire team. Both rounds were extremely tough fought battles against really good teams. We got off to an early lead vs Vasteras and Cologne, but they both made us nervous, winning important games decisively. This made me take more risks than I would have liked in terms of tactics, but I'm glad we got it done in the end. Special thanks to everyone on the S85 Storm roster and Krzy for your invaluable roles in winning Oslo its first ever Renaissance Cup!

Word Count: 512

Edited by JB123

• JB123 changed the title to Looking Back at S85