The Top Players in the S85 Draft Class - Season 1 Edition

ThePerfectNut

1. Vancouver Wolves - Henry Eagles - C+

The 1st overall pick of the season 85 draft had a disappointing rookie season since a couple of people had him as rookie of the year, but he wasn't even close to the top 10.  He was expected to produce somehow more points since he already did play pro in the VHLE, even tho he only had 25 points in 72 games in the VHLE. The people did not expect him to only get 31 points in 72 games for the Vancouver Wolves playing alongside Nico Pearce, who's one of the best players in the league. Some might say he carried too much of a burden during the playoff because of playing in a rookie line.

But to be least harsh against him, Henry Eagles himself did not expect to put up points and only wanted to do whatever the team needed him to do to win the VHL championship, but they didn't even pass the first round which was a shocker for multiple teams around the league.

The only positive from this season is that he's a decent defensive forward already, or maybe not. He's a +10, but some might say he should easily be a minus if Nico Pearce was not scoring on that line all the time. It should actually be much higher if we think about it.

Anyways, he's at the bottom and he can only go up from here. His sophomore season is a must-see for the league.

2. Prague Phantoms - John Jameson - A-

This player is making a lot of noise. After spending a lot of time training to catch up to the top talented players in this draft, he finally caught up and might be the most exciting player to watch in the upcoming VHL season.

He had an outstanding 103 points with 51 goals in his first season in the VHLE. He was one of the best players in the VHLE despite being a rookie. His stick handling might be a concern, but when you can shoot the puck as he does. Who cares?

I already have him as my rookie of the year next season, but will the hype play with his head? Only time will tell...

3. Calgary Wranglers - Phil Strasmore - B

A neutral opinion of him. His offensive capabilities can't be displayed with the stacked team around him. but he's already showing a flash of greatness on the defensive ends. With 165 hits and 116 blocked shots in his rookie season. He's already establishing himself as a great defensive d-men in the league.

I don't really see him as a hall-of-fame defender, but he will definitely have a promising career with the Calgary Wranglers

4. New York Americans - Daniel Weaver - B-

A lot of rumours around this player and he might be on the move this off-season already after his rookie season with the New York Americans. After a disappointing season for the Americans, the future is looking quite dim within this team.

Daniel Weaver was a top 10 rookie in scoring, and some might argue he could of been in the top 5 if he played on the first line despite never playing in a single pro league before this season.
Daniel Weaver has 0 focus on scoring at the moment but still ended up getting 42 points without playing with a solid scorer on his line. The one impressive thing about Weaver tho is his shots blocked.

He has 36 shots blocked as a rookie and that puts him top 10 in the entire league for forwards already....and that's without penalty killing time! He might have gotten 50.

A change of scenery is coming for Weaver tho....

5. London United - Astro Singh - C-

I'm hoping this guy could become the elite player and the rest of us become busts, but this has not been the case so far, unfortunately. He had a de cent season in the VHLE I guess, but it looks like he will be spending one more season there and hopefully, he can dominate and prove the haters wrong.

He only had 43 points in 772 games with a + 21, but a good thing with his game is that he's laying the body. Everyone needs a solid scoring power forward on there team and he might have a future in the VHL if he keeps it up like this.

6. Menace Moscow - Matt Murdock - S godly tier

One might say I'm a fanboy and yes I am one.

I thought he couldn't outdone himself, but he did it in a godly way.

After going 927% save percentage in his rookie season with 2.18 GAA in his rookie season in the VHLE. He went 941% save percentage with a 2.18 GAA in his sophomore season! Oh oh....

Not only that, but when it comes to the playoff, he had a .954% save percentage with a 2.01 save percentage in 6 games!!! A team can never point finger at a goalie posting those kind of stats. It's really amazing that he didn't win a a single award yet.

I might need to reconsider my pick for rookie of the year...

Moscow had Papa Emeritus and now they have this dude. It's honestly not fair! The next-best HOF goalie is coming in 2 seasons...

7.  Tater Tottingham - Helskiki Titans - C+

He's a decent prospect, but h might not an impactful career in the VHL. He would be an amazing player to have in any VHLE team tho.

In his rookie season in the VHLE, he had 71 points in 72 games on a bad team. And he also had 106 hots and 158 blocks shots, he's a jack of all trade sort of defender, but those kinds of players don't really translate well in the VHL.

Hopefully a team will one day give him the reign of playing like himself in the highest stage possible.

There it is, the season 85 draft is looking quite promising at the moment. Not a lot of HOF potential, but definitely a couple of them will be star players for there team. Who will win a cup first tho!?

1024 words

Good read. Impressively written article. Well opinionated. Good spacing, but could have used Bold and italics for an easier and better read. Maybe could have also included TPE for each player. One TPE at when player was drafted and a second TPE posting for the end of season rating to show how the player has progressed through the season. Overall, a very good article and enjoyable read, especially for someone who doesn't follow players. I give it an unbiased 9/10. :)