First gens - I offer suggestions for how to make things easier and fun for them

jRuutu

giphy.gif

After taking a quick look around the S87 draft page (1), which nicely lists all the players and users, I was able to conclude that there are not that many active first gen users and if there are - quite a few of them rely mostly on welfare to earn TPE.  I started to wonder how could things be easier and more fun for the first gens.

Create alternative reality
Instead of starting from the bottom, make the new players start from the top! When you create a player, every stat will be at 99. Good is bad, and bad is good! (2) A very modern approach to simulation leagues.  Instead of starting from 40 and hoping to reach 99 or the high 90s, you will start from 99 in every stat. The goal is to build a perfectly balanced player. When every stat is at 99, the player is not perfectly balanced. That is where the fun starts, who can build a player that works the best? Can anyone score? Do we see thousands of fights every season? The alternative reality is full of options and possibilities.  More importantly, it will be fun.  The first gens can test stuff out and see how everything works. The older users can pretend they are not taking it seriously as they compete against each other, everybody will be entertained.

TPE lottery with a twist
For 0.5 dollars, you get one ticket. You can buy only one ticket each week (3). The jackpot will be 1000 TPE. Every week one user will win the jackpot! There is a catch though. If you win the jackpot, your player will be retired after the season ends.  The money will be donated to charity or to promote VHL somehow. What I like about this idea is that new users could get a real taste of what it's like to be a star in the league.  Alternatively, we could see some records that are going to be broken if a seasoned user with a nice TPE total wins the 1000 TPE lottery. Also, a hint of realism as we rarely see real one-season wonders in VHL. This lottery could allow one-season wonders to happen much more frequently. What about this: some junior hockey player puts up 400 points during one season, but for some reason, they did not end up being a star in the VHL? Realism. Once again fun and entertaining for everybody.

Promote positive things
Instead of asking first gens and users to do point tasks on the site - ask them to do point tasks in real life. Help someone, pick up trash (4), go to work, go to school, apply for jobs, work out, cook a healthy meal, etc - the list goes on and on. Reward positive things by allowing them to be claimed for TPE on the site.  There are too many unhappy people around the internet, VHL should be a place where positive habits are created, VHL should be a place where positive stories are shared.  

1 - I did not look at the S87 draft page

2 - Who decides what is what? The society. Time for a change?

3 - Gambling is ok once a week

4 - *player name* carrying *player name* - cmoon, we are having fun here

• Head Moderator
15 hours ago, jRuutu said:

Promote positive things
Instead of asking first gens and users to do point tasks on the site - ask them to do point tasks in real life. Help someone, pick up trash (4), go to work, go to school, apply for jobs, work out, cook a healthy meal, etc - the list goes on and on. Reward positive things by allowing them to be claimed for TPE on the site.  There are too many unhappy people around the internet, VHL should be a place where positive habits are created, VHL should be a place where positive stories are shared.

I actually like this idea. You should flesh it out further, maybe look into the mechanics of a system for confirmation of sorts for this and then present it.

11 hours ago, Baozi said:

I actually like this idea. You should flesh it out further, maybe look into the mechanics of a system for confirmation of sorts for this and then present it.

i feel like this is why folks enjoy holidays around the vhl, no? not many people are like "man i HATE when we do the auction and raising thousands of dollars for charity is the WORST"

• Head Moderator
1 minute ago, fishy said:

i feel like this is why folks enjoy holidays around the vhl, no? not many people are like "man i HATE when we do the auction and raising thousands of dollars for charity is the WORST"

I was thinking along the lines of people just doing good things throughout the year or just helping foster a good mental environment actually. But it would be pretty hard to track which would be my concern.

2 minutes ago, Baozi said:

I was thinking along the lines of people just doing good things throughout the year or just helping foster a good mental environment actually. But it would be pretty hard to track which would be my concern.

it feels weird to incentive being a good person or community member when it's already rewarding in and of itself 

• Head Moderator
Just now, fishy said:

it feels weird to incentive being a good person or community member when it's already rewarding in and of itself 

Alot of it comes from when giving incentive that the awareness portion in itself encourages others to follow suit. Also some people are just motivated by incentives this way and if giving them virtual points means they take one extra look to see if the person behind them needs a hand, then honestly its not a bad trade to help them get in the habit of it.