Rip is Ready...

ScottyP

Well, I have been officially introduced to the VHL by my real-life buddies @Scurvy (Brian Payne) and @thunder (Jake Thunder).  Both have seemed to have made some really awesome players in this league I am just barely understanding. 

I try hard to navigate the forums, player management page, whatever the hell the Index thing is, discord, and trying to find where I locate where I submit tasks to where I have to claim them.  Scurvy tells me there was a learning curve but I had no idea just how lost I would be. But I am trying!

I was picked up as a free agent by Las Vegas which is cool and I have received 2nd and 4th line minutes with my goal to produce as much TPE as possible to get the call up to the first line and make myself a valuable pick in the next draft.  

I’ve been reading the forum a bit and still confused as to whether my next season is in the European league or to the Show.  I guess I’ll try to keep earning, although I really feel stupid not knowing what to write.  I guess I will talk about how I’d like to build my player.

I’d like Rip to be a nasty gritty forward who loves to hit, score, and even get the occasional tilt.  I think players like Tom Wilson, Eric Lindros (minus the concussions), and Turner Stevenson (*shoutout to former Seattle Thunderbird great).  I have such little TPE right now to even make Rip close to these greats, but I am trying. 

The other hard thing right now is where the hell to I place my points to make my dude valuable in the league?????  I put a few points in scoring and some in checking but they go fast.  Scurvy told me to purchase some shit in player store and then something got denied.  LOL I am excited for the league to start today but I feel I am going to be so shitty.  I also look at other’s TPE and cringe thinking that I have to write a million articles to gather that many points!  I have zero ability to create cool graphics so that isn’t even an option, and I am at that age where doing a podcast even confuses me.  So get ready for some pointless articles until I get my feet under me here! haha  Who knows, maybe I will grow to like writing them after I see Rip Wheeler in some box scores. 

This is a pretty cool thing but very intimidating for me right now.  Scurvy says it will get easier and him and Jake Thunder truly love playing here and rave about the league.  For now I will remain oblivious to some stuff and hope to get comfortable navigating the forum and stuff.

Thank you all for being patient as I fumble my way through this. Hopefully Rip will get his first VHLM points, a few hits, and maybe a tilt to help Vegas win tonight!

-Rip

1 minute ago, ScottyP said:

This is a pretty cool thing but very intimidating for me right now.  Scurvy says it will get easier

Took me a few weeks/couple months to really get into a groove in terms of processing all the new information and getting into an earning habit. You'll be ok, you've got good friends who know what they're doing and will help out. Reach out if you ever need anything, and welcome to the league!

28 minutes ago, ScottyP said:

I’ve been reading the forum a bit and still confused as to whether my next season is in the European league or to the Show. 

First just want to say you're doing great so far! Your draft class is S88 which is the next one, after this season. You'll be drafted then in two separate drafts, one for Europe, one for the VHL. Once you reach 200 TPE you'll move up to Europe, and once you reach 300-400 you can go to the VHL. I'm sure it may seem complicated at first, but if you need clarification just ask.

28 minutes ago, ScottyP said:

The other hard thing right now is where the hell to I place my points to make my dude valuable in the league?????

Here's a link below to a build guide that Gustav put together to get you started, but happy to help if you have any specific questions. Basically, try not to put all your points into one attribute right away, but also, don't spread them out among all attributes; certain ones have a larger impact than others.

Edited by JB123

23 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Took me a few weeks/couple months to really get into a groove in terms of processing all the new information and getting into an earning habit. You'll be ok, you've got good friends who know what they're doing and will help out. Reach out if you ever need anything, and welcome to the league!

I agree with this statement except the part about your friends being good.

25 minutes ago, ScottyP said:

I’ve been reading the forum a bit and still confused as to whether my next season is in the European league or to the Show.

The upcoming season (i.e. the one starting today), you'll be in the VHLM (the Minors). Next season will depend on how much TPE you earn, but the VHLE (Europe) seems most likely. For reference, players with 30-199 TPE in the off-season will play in the VHLM. Players with 200-399 TPE will play in the VHLE (though I think at 350+ they have the option of going to the bigs). Finally, any player above 400 TPE will be in the VHL! Don't worry too much about any of those numbers for now though.

LOL I am excited for the league to start today but I feel I am going to be so shitty.

Same!

I have zero ability to create cool graphics so that isn’t even an option, and I am at that age where doing a podcast even confuses me.  So get ready for some pointless articles until I get my feet under me here!

I'm a frequent podcaster, and I enjoy the medium because they REALLY can be pointless. My format is often 1-5 minutes talking about what I am currently doing in that very moment, then 10-55 minutes of stream of conscience ranting about whatever I happen to be looking at or thinking about. It's cool. Though certainly can also be achieved in writing if you're a COWARD @Thunder.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the VHL! It can be a real groovy experience, and earning TPE can come naturally at a certain point. In fact, observe as I seamlessly transition this normal reply I wasn't intending to make for TPE into a review for 1 TPE:

I always thoroughly enjoy reading Media Spots in this format; that is, a genuine human reaction/first impressions of the league. It's valuable to veteran and rookie members alike, as it gives the former a reminder of what being a new member is like, and shows the latter that they are not alone in the ubiquitous "I just joined this sim league and there it is overwhelming" experience. 

In the future, you may be able to write Media from a more roleplaying perspective, or a statistical analysis perspective. Or whatever you want really. Back in the day, it was literally valued to add colours and formatting and photos to Media Spots, which can make the article more aesthetically pleasing to look at. This isn't required though, and I encourage members to do whatever is easiest and most comfortable for them. Hence why I earn TPE while driving.

Anyway, 10/10, welcome to the league.

EDIT: I originally opened this article just to say "Rip is Ready... and I hope he's ready to rip."

Edited by JardyB10