Olivier Gauthier on preseason with San Diego

fonziGG

Preseason is one of the most challenging times for a professional hockey player like myself. As a new San Diego Marlin, it's been.... Interesting to say the least. California weather is extremely different compared to what I am used to back in Quebec and just the adjustment to that type of heat has been new for me. The team has done a fantastic job keeping us hydrated and healthy through this weather. Regardless of this weather, it's definitely different to be practicing in beautiful weather like this. Being a goalie is different compared to the rest of the players. It's extremely important for me to build a strong relationship with the skaters just so I can understand what makes their minds tick and what their habits are like. This team has a lot of talented players on it and I am excited to have been drafted into such a fantastic environment.

Preseason generally consists of some team building which could also include some hazing. The team got me a few times during training. I think once I had sat on a chair filled with whipped cream and a whoopy cushion. Ironically, some of these pranks have really brought us together as a group. Preseason has been a challenge however extremely valuable for me. I'm looking forward for this coming season, including the opportunity to play with my new teammates. I am confident that all the hard work we put in this offseason will pay off come the season and I am excited to see what we can accomplish as a group together.