Around the league in 538 words

Scurvy

For this week weeks post we will talk about some upcoming rookies, a clutch defenseman from 

Calgary,  a man name Probert stopping everything, and some other random shit.  

AirRig GoodBrandSun is CLUTCH:

After a dominant regular season last year the Calgary Wranglers had a disappoint playoff and vowed to avenge their early exit this year.  Their start was anything but expected but they have become hot as of late with 3 straight wins.  With amazing players like Daniel Janser, Landon Wolanin, Leandro Goncalves its easy to see why they are so offensively gifted.  With those names on the roster If I were to ask who led in game winning goals the AirRig GoodBrandSun @Rhynex Entertainment would probably not roll of the tongue.  A gifted scorer in his own right, the S83 Jake Wylde Trophy winner has notched 5 GWG in a short 23 game season so far showing he is Mr Clutch on a team of All Stars.  Great work Rig! 

ROOKIE IN HELSINKI 

The poor Helsinki Titans are having a rough start to the year with only 3 wins so far.  A talented but young club they will be deadly in years to come when players mature and TPE is earned.  That being said, rookie Daryl Dixon @Ricer13 is doing his part to earn rookie of the year honors.  The Season 86 #3 overall pick is already at 663 TPE and In 22 games he’s notched 13 goals 7 assists 20 points and 73 hits.  

Now he has some competition at his heels for the top rookie in Larry Abass Jr (CGY), Nikolas Kauppi(PRG), and Jon Webber Jr (RIG) but so far Dixon has my vote.  

UNDRAFTED TOUGH GUY EARNING HIS SPOT

Sometimes when teams find a player in the later picks of the draft or free agency they truly find a diamond in the rough.  Now rough is exactly what Malmo Defenseman, Mo Probert @Yahtzee is.  Like his namesake he plays the game with a bag of knuckles but has shown despite being undrafted he brings first round grit to the Nighthawks. 

Probert is currently #1 in shots blocked with 73 and #1 in PIMS with 81 he also has 81 hits.  He does the little things that make him so valuable to his club.  He is also #2 in fights with 5 total and #1 in fight wins with 3. 

Probert isn’t always about the grit too; he can score and play hockey.  He has scored 10 goals in each of his last two seasons and had a nice 47 assists in his rookie year.  Also, when he played for the Bratislava Watchmen he had a 12 goal and 55 points season.  Even crazier was his final year in Halifax in the Minors he amassed 21 goals to go with 201 hits.  

Overall, Malmo should be commended for such a great free agent signing and wanted to shine a light on the great play by Probie.  

VANCOUVER TRADES HORVAT

Well in real life hockey news, Bo Horvat was traded to NY by Vancouver this week and he just signed an 8 year deal to stay with NYI.  Was this a good trade by Vancouver??  Did they get enough in return?? Just curious of any thoughts

More next week

Fights won is the one stat I'm focused on the most for Probie haha. Good article and thanks for the mention! Waiting for the day Payne and Probert drop the gloves against each other (unless thats already happened and I missed it haha)

On 2/6/2023 at 10:42 AM, Scurvy said:

VANCOUVER TRADES HORVAT

Well in real life hockey news, Bo Horvat was traded to NY by Vancouver this week and he just signed an 8 year deal to stay with NYI.  Was this a good trade by Vancouver??  Did they get enough in return?? Just curious of any thoughts

Aatu Raty is a good prospect that was drafted much lower then expected in the 2021 Draft as he was projected to actually be a high top 10 draft pick ( early 1st overall at one point) but fell to 52nd due to development issues and the fact that he fell out of love with the game. I heard personal reason off the ice might have been at play so teams where scared off by his lack of commitment to play in the NHL so being drafted in the second at 52nd is a steal. He hasn`t been the same since he fell out of love with the game but before that he dominated Junior tournaments for Finland. He is a big body power forward with great hand skills, and good shot so he could be a steal in this trade.

Conditional 1st - If it was unconditional then it would have been a great add to the trade but at the current position NYI are sitting in the standings means that this will be 13th overall pick so it becomes a question of whom the draft at 13th if it becomes a good add in the trade. As right now they are looking at Matthew Wood (local kid from Van Island) or Ryan Leonard (Boston College bound) so it looks like they need to pick between a high energy player that has high skill potential or Big skilled forward that is a pure goal scorer but has trouble skating. I would love to see them draft Wood here if still available as I think he has more upside to his game since he is also already playing NCAA at UCONN but it could also change depending on whom the draft with their first pick (6th currently) as projected to take Will Smith; while hoping that Leo Carlsson fall to them or they are able to move up and get him. I would love to see them take Will Smith as high undersized offensive player that can generate offense off the rush. Put him with Leonard as both are Boston bound at 13th and you have two very quick offensive players that can drive the play.

Players to watch in this draft for me so far are:

Will Smith (6th), Oliver Moore (10th), Ryan Leonard (12th), Matthew Wood (13th) & Ethan Gauthier (21st)

Lack of defenders in the draft means it will be interesting to watch the few that could move up in the draft with Axel Sandin Pellikka most likely first drafted (15th)

Also the Russian effect might be huge this year with four or five should be selected in the first round but are current deemed risky:

Matvei Michkov (4th; should have been 2nd), Dmitri Simashev (19th, Best defender in the draft), Mikhail Gulyayev (23rd, Undersized offensive DEF) 

Anthony Beauvillier - Younger faster and more skilled forward then Bo Horvat but has struggled since entering the NHL under a defensive minded team like the NYI. He is a bonified 20 goal score putting up equal goals to assist so won`t lead the teams offense unless he rediscovers his Junior scoring touch where he was 17th leading scorer from his draft class in 2015; not bad from the 28th overall selection. But everyone expected more.... Size seems to be the issue as he cannot take the physical aspect of the game at 5`11" and 170lbs; needs to bulk up his core strength if he is going to dominate in the NHL; unlikely to change at 25yrs old. Very similar to Brock Boeser or Travis Konecny drafted in the same draft only a few placed ahead of him. Good second line winger that can drive the play but needs other like minded players to bring the most out of him.

Overall overview of the trade: Traded Bo Horvat 27yrs old Center who averages 50pts per season for Anthony Beauvillier 25yr old winger who averages 40pts per season. One will make 8.5M ($170,000 per point) starting next season and becomes the 15th highest Center in the league and the other is signed at 4.150M per season (103,740 per point). Then add in Aatu Raty as an elite prospect and 1st round selection; which is looking like an elite prospect. I think Vancouver won the deal when looking at overall comparables  as Vancouver could afford to pay Horvat as a first line scoring center when he is a good second line scoring center. For all the gripes around Miller he is at least still a point per game player going to give you 72 - 90pts per season or (103,640 per point). Hate the attitude and his defensive side of the game but that isn`t what the Canucks are paying him for now is it? 

So yes it hurts giving up a heart and soul player like Horvat but he wanted too much for his production and role within the Vancouver roster so getting a comparable in Beauvillier, and two prospects in Raty & 1st round pick is clearly a win.

8 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Aatu Raty is a good prospect that was drafted much lower then expected in the 2021 Draft as he was projected to actually be a high top 10 draft pick ( early 1st overall at one point) but fell to 52nd due to development issues and the fact that he fell out of love with the game. I heard personal reason off the ice might have been at play so teams where scared off by his lack of commitment to play in the NHL so being drafted in the second at 52nd is a steal. He hasn`t been the same since he fell out of love with the game but before that he dominated Junior tournaments for Finland. He is a big body power forward with great hand skills, and good shot so he could be a steal in this trade.

Conditional 1st - If it was unconditional then it would have been a great add to the trade but at the current position NYI are sitting in the standings means that this will be 13th overall pick so it becomes a question of whom the draft at 13th if it becomes a good add in the trade. As right now they are looking at Matthew Wood (local kid from Van Island) or Ryan Leonard (Boston College bound) so it looks like they need to pick between a high energy player that has high skill potential or Big skilled forward that is a pure goal scorer but has trouble skating. I would love to see them draft Wood here if still available as I think he has more upside to his game since he is also already playing NCAA at UCONN but it could also change depending on whom the draft with their first pick (6th currently) as projected to take Will Smith; while hoping that Leo Carlsson fall to them or they are able to move up and get him. I would love to see them take Will Smith as high undersized offensive player that can generate offense off the rush. Put him with Leonard as both are Boston bound at 13th and you have two very quick offensive players that can drive the play.

Players to watch in this draft for me so far are:

Will Smith (6th), Oliver Moore (10th), Ryan Leonard (12th), Matthew Wood (13th) & Ethan Gauthier (21st)

Lack of defenders in the draft means it will be interesting to watch the few that could move up in the draft with Axel Sandin Pellikka most likely first drafted (15th)

Also the Russian effect might be huge this year with four or five should be selected in the first round but are current deemed risky:

Matvei Michkov (4th; should have been 2nd), Dmitri Simashev (19th, Best defender in the draft), Mikhail Gulyayev (23rd, Undersized offensive DEF) 

Anthony Beauvillier - Younger faster and more skilled forward then Bo Horvat but has struggled since entering the NHL under a defensive minded team like the NYI. He is a bonified 20 goal score putting up equal goals to assist so won`t lead the teams offense unless he rediscovers his Junior scoring touch where he was 17th leading scorer from his draft class in 2015; not bad from the 28th overall selection. But everyone expected more.... Size seems to be the issue as he cannot take the physical aspect of the game at 5`11" and 170lbs; needs to bulk up his core strength if he is going to dominate in the NHL; unlikely to change at 25yrs old. Very similar to Brock Boeser or Travis Konecny drafted in the same draft only a few placed ahead of him. Good second line winger that can drive the play but needs other like minded players to bring the most out of him.

Overall overview of the trade: Traded Bo Horvat 27yrs old Center who averages 50pts per season for Anthony Beauvillier 25yr old winger who averages 40pts per season. One will make 8.5M ($170,000 per point) starting next season and becomes the 15th highest Center in the league and the other is signed at 4.150M per season (103,740 per point). Then add in Aatu Raty as an elite prospect and 1st round selection; which is looking like an elite prospect. I think Vancouver won the deal when looking at overall comparables  as Vancouver could afford to pay Horvat as a first line scoring center when he is a good second line scoring center. For all the gripes around Miller he is at least still a point per game player going to give you 72 - 90pts per season or (103,640 per point). Hate the attitude and his defensive side of the game but that isn`t what the Canucks are paying him for now is it? 

So yes it hurts giving up a heart and soul player like Horvat but he wanted too much for his production and role within the Vancouver roster so getting a comparable in Beauvillier, and two prospects in Raty & 1st round pick is clearly a win.

Great analysis !!!   Damn, you should work for TSN

20 hours ago, Yahtzee said:

Fights won is the one stat I'm focused on the most for Probie haha. Good article and thanks for the mention! Waiting for the day Payne and Probert drop the gloves against each other (unless thats already happened and I missed it haha)

LOL. Don't think they have dropped yet.  Fight stats is a tough one.  I had 7 fights one season and 0 the next ???  Having 70 grit and zero fights was shocking that season.  Hopefully a Payne vs Probert happens soon...Just go easy on my face!!