Insanity Initiated

jacobcarson877

82e589716b7a20189e14c24275dca63b47e7595a

It has been about 2 weeks since I applied my last TPE and I am already going insane. I have no idea what to do with myself now that I have nothing to push forward with Landon Wolanin. It isn’t like my workload is different here, I still GM and I still do my point tasks. I still spy on the updater queue and read through the new forum content. I still stalk my players and teammates and try to give them the best advice I can. I still participate in league discussion and attempt to find meaning in general chat. I still dream of league changes and a new shiny sim engine that makes any sense at all. I still try to piece together what it is that separates Landon Wolanin from the HOF-calibre greats. And yet here I am trying to figure out what the heck to write about these days, and desperately hold myself back from applying my future depreciation-countering TPE.

Edited by jacobcarson877

I am glad to see you still active in all the right places!  I've tried in general chat but it seems pretty dominated by disjointed conversations and a few, VERY active members.

I gotta be honest, the end of a players career and the fight against depreciation sounds not fun at all.  I feel like it should be a momentous occasion; a celebration of your dedication to the league and the teams you've played for but it looks like number crunching and a very unceremonious death.  If you were someone with a mid player who didn't have much of a chance of breaking records or winning a championship the urge to retire before depreciation and recreate would be overwhelming I'd imagine.

• Commissioner
2 hours ago, Triller said:

I am glad to see you still active in all the right places!  I've tried in general chat but it seems pretty dominated by disjointed conversations and a few, VERY active members.

Forum > Discord

2 hours ago, Triller said:

If you were someone with a mid player who didn't have much of a chance of breaking records or winning a championship the urge to retire before depreciation and recreate would be overwhelming I'd imagine.

It is sometimes but it’s all percentage based and we’ve made it hit less if you are in the VHL fewer seasons so it depends what n the person. The roughest is when you have boatloads of TPE but just don’t perform well anyway because you get hit hard but it seems pointless to fight. Technically there’s nothing stopping anyone from retiring early mine you.

7 hours ago, jacobcarson877 said:

82e589716b7a20189e14c24275dca63b47e7595a

It has been about 2 weeks since I applied my last TPE and I am already going insane. I have no idea what to do with myself now that I have nothing to push forward with Landon Wolanin. It isn’t like my workload is different here, I still GM and I still do my point tasks. I still spy on the updater queue and read through the new forum content. I still stalk my players and teammates and try to give them the best advice I can. I still participate in league discussion and attempt to find meaning in general chat. I still dream of league changes and a new shiny sim engine that makes any sense at all. I still try to piece together what it is that separates Landon Wolanin from the HOF-calibre greats. And yet here I am trying to figure out what the heck to write about these days, and desperately hold myself back from applying my future depreciation-countering TPE.

What separates us... from players like Duncan Idaho is the fact he has 200 more points than I'm on pace for the end of my career.

1 hour ago, Arce said:

I hear ya Jacob! In the same boat here. Every bad sim for myself, I take a glance at all the banked TPE I have to see if I should make some adjustments.😂

Resist. Tbh either you have faith in like 7 seasons of work or you don't. I stand by my opinion that your performance is 50% controlled by your build and 50% determined by your team and your teammates' builds. Shit, look at VAN swapping out Nico for Preo at identical TPA yet slightly different builds and suddenly going on a cup winning tear.

1 hour ago, Arce said:

I hear ya Jacob! In the same boat here. Every bad sim for myself, I take a glance at all the banked TPE I have to see if I should make some adjustments.😂

I love that I'm trying to figure out how to catch up to you, and even still you're trying to see how you can catch up to the people ahead of you, it's a never ending cycle

28 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Resist. Tbh either you have faith in like 7 seasons of work or you don't. I stand by my opinion that your performance is 50% controlled by your build and 50% determined by your team and your teammates' builds. Shit, look at VAN swapping out Nico for Preo at identical TPA yet slightly different builds and suddenly going on a cup winning tear.

Absolutely, and about half the time, the Janser Wolanin duo seems unstoppable and then for like a week we have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Thank god for Leandro who has manages to put in the work solo and fills the void when we're not going or Calgary wouldn't be where we are today.

10 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

I love that I'm trying to figure out how to catch up to you, and even still you're trying to see how you can catch up to the people ahead of you, it's a never ending cycle

Now try that with the CGY all time greats and you know how I feel at times (luckily Campbell did not play for the Wranglers, that would be an even more daring task)...

9 hours ago, Triller said:

I gotta be honest, the end of a players career and the fight against depreciation sounds not fun at all.  I feel like it should be a momentous occasion; a celebration of your dedication to the league and the teams you've played for but it looks like number crunching and a very unceremonious death.  If you were someone with a mid player who didn't have much of a chance of breaking records or winning a championship the urge to retire before depreciation and recreate would be overwhelming I'd imagine.

I know I'm sitting here complaining about it as usual, and I have many times, but depreciation is meant to be a challenge, a testament to the dedication and hard work you put in to reach your peak. It will be fun to be in my final season, walking in again with a whole ton of TPA, ready to show the league that I worked hard and I get to have another opportunity to prove that I can win. The way I've started to think about it now is that a VHL career is 5 seasons, and for each season afterwards you have to be prepared to pay up. And that's not really how it gets portrayed these days, but it has been helpful keeping me focused on buying those last 3 seasons.

42 minutes ago, Spartan said:

It is just stupid temptations, I am not actually going to apply it.😂 Depreciation would not be kind. I am also happy in general with my player.

19 minutes ago, jacobcarson877 said:

That leadership board completely shuffles after every sim it feels,. But it still always seems to have@Daniel Janserahead of me.😂 You and Spartan are one big sim away from the top 3.

1 hour ago, jacobcarson877 said:

I know I'm sitting here complaining about it as usual, and I have many times, but depreciation is meant to be a challenge, a testament to the dedication and hard work you put in to reach your peak. It will be fun to be in my final season, walking in again with a whole ton of TPA, ready to show the league that I worked hard and I get to have another opportunity to prove that I can win. The way I've started to think about it now is that a VHL career is 5 seasons, and for each season afterwards you have to be prepared to pay up. And that's not really how it gets portrayed these days, but it has been helpful keeping me focused on buying those last 3 seasons.

I will have to bother you when my player is coming close to depreciation and get some advice on it.  It will likely be the end of graphics for me but the beginning of just writing to maintain my player.  Focusing more on being an AGM somewhere if my time in Houston ends.  Maybe make graphics for whatever team I am an AGM with?  Hopefully I feel like the challenge of depreciation is worth it when it arrives but at this point, it sounds like I am going to need a lot of distraction to keep myself interested until my player is interesting enough to focus on again.

1 minute ago, Triller said:

I will have to bother you when my player is coming close to depreciation and get some advice on it.  It will likely be the end of graphics for me but the beginning of just writing to maintain my player.  Focusing more on being an AGM somewhere if my time in Houston ends.  Maybe make graphics for whatever team I am an AGM with?  Hopefully I feel like the challenge of depreciation is worth it when it arrives but at this point, it sounds like I am going to need a lot of distraction to keep myself interested until my player is interesting enough to focus on again.

Oh yeah you've got plenty of time to work that out. earning really becomes about sustainability after a while, and really whatever you can do the easiest becomes the best. There's so much excitement and change at the beginning of a career, so there's plenty of content, but as you go along, those management positions and league jobs and whatever PTs you find easiest really help to avoid burnout. Knowing I have to put out 500 words a week (I actually only do .com articles for affiliate leagues), makes it pretty easy to continue to max earn and keep my TPA high. Any other content that I put out is stuff I want to do, which has really invigorated me to do weird and wacky things knowing that the TPE is handled. It's crazy how much the focus has shifted over the last few months, and I'm excited to see what my brain, and yours, come up with down the road.