a tale of two Brothers // I am a Wanderer

Bild

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

(Marcel's stats/Daniel's stats)

Our local hockey exports have now already a quarter of the season behind them. Helsinki is still on top of their conference with a 15-6-1 while Calgary is barely clinging on to the wild card spot with a 8-10-2 record. On some ground breaking news we learned that Marcel has now been traded together with Riga's 2nd round pick in S89 to Vancouver in exchange for Ryuji Sakamoto. The young Japanese is also a defensive defenseman, albeit younger and with a higher talent ceiling, alas even less offensive tools as the veteran Swiss back. We just got a telex that Marcel had to rebook his flight from Vancouver to London as the English squad traded for him in exchange for defender Branden Skuin and Davos's 2nd round pick in S89. We will see how this trade chain pans out for any of the franchises involved.

Simo Ruotsalainen (SR) was able to reach Marcel (MJ) and get his side of the story of this unexpected turn of events.

SR: 'Marcel, thanks for your time. We have heard that you were traded first to Vancouver just to be flipped to London a few hours later. What do you think about this chain of events?'

MJ: 'Hyvää ilta päivää Simo. It is wild. The trade away from Calgary was not unexpected and it was cool to join Helsinki. Our season started very well and at the beginning I was able to score above my average. Then I hit something of a dry spell but was still able to help the team win matches. Sakamoto is certainly an upgrade on the defensive end of the ice, I am fully aware of that, alas this is also well reflected on their paycheck as well. When the GM Frank Funk called me in his office and broke the news, I was a bit surprised. At the end of the day that is just how this business works and there is not much one can do except to make the best of it and stay professional. If life gives you lemons, open up a bottle of Tequila, is what my dad always says.'

SR: 'Shortly after, you were traded back to Europe. Did you have to jump out of the plane?'

MJ (laughs): 'Luckily no. I was still packing in my apartment, when London's GM Jacob Carson, called me to tell me I should cancel my flight to Vancouver as I was just traded to them. It would have been bad for my carbon footprint, if I flew half across the planet for nought. It appears I bring some upgrade to their blueline and Skuin has been stagnant for a while now, while I still make some sort of progress in my development, even though being drafted earlier then the Finn.'

SR: 'Are you excited to dress for London now?'

MJ: 'It is a relatively young team with a lot of potential and I want to help them to make the playoffs this year. Besides I am sucker for history just like my brother and would like to re-visit the Imperial War Museum and the HMS Belfast as well as the Tower. I will finally have the time to go to the RAF Museum in Hendon and to the Tank Museum in Bovington which has the only Tiger tank in working condition. This will be a cool new experience.'

SR: 'Okay, that is all the questions I had for now, we will certainly follow your further career.'

Here are the stats for the Rotkreuz natives:

Marcel: 22gp, 2g, 8a, 10pts, +12, 22 PIM, 27 hits, 39sb, 1gwg, 1 First star nomination

Daniel: 20gp, 10g, 13a, 23pts, +2, 18 PIM, 40 hits, 19sb, 57.95FO%, 0gwg, 3ppg, 2 First star nominations

https://vhlforum.com/topic/134635-a-tale-of-two-brothers-an-interseason-summary/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/134672-a-tale-of-two-brothers-the-janser-retirement/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/134942-a-tale-of-two-brothers-tervetuloa-marcel-janser/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/135154-a-tale-of-two-brothers-how-the-turn-tables/

Edited by Daniel Janser