Ollie is ready to make the jump

fonziGG

Dear VHL,

Its still an immense feeling to have been drafted by Prague in the VHL. It's a dream of every hockey player to make it to the big leagues and I can't believe it's within my grasp. I'm so excited, yet nervous to make the jump. There is a lot to do and prepare for. I've been playing hockey since I was 4 years old however this is a new level to prepare for. I've been fumbling the bag recently but I need to stop it.

Last season and this season I've been playing for the San Diego Marlins, which has been fantastic, but it's time to take my game to the next level. I've been putting in a lot of practice on and off the ice. I recently decided to start working with a sports psychologist to help me stay focused, calm and determined. Mental toughness is a huge factor, infact, just as important as physical ability when it comes to being a professional goalie. I know what the competition in the VHL is going to look like, it's going to be fierce. My training schedule has become rigorous. I've been hitting the gym daily, working on things like my footwork and watching game footage to learn from legends in the game. I've also been speaking with experienced players in the VHL team and they've been amazing. I've been soaking up as much knowledge as I can from them. They've all be forthright in giving me tips and tricks. It's amazing how much you can learn if you're willing to take a step back and listen to what they have to say. It's not just about me, though. I'm grateful for the team that I've been playing with. The Sandiego Marlins have been amazing to me. They've helped me grow as a player and as a person. I've made so many friends on this team and off the team. I'm going to miss them dearly when I eventually have to get to Prague.

I have till the end of the season but I'm prepared to move on to the next chapter. Being drafted by Prague, I'm excited to see what the future holds. It won't be easy but I'm ready for the challenge. I know that the competition in the VHL is going to be hard but I'm confident in myself. I think I'm ready for it.

Theres still a lot of progress needed before I can jump to the VHL though. I may even have to play in the VHLE next season. I need to work hard every day to make sure I'm ready. I've set some personal goals for myself and I'm determined to make those happen.

Like I said earlier, it's going to be tough to leave San Diego. However, I'm ready for the next chapter. I'm grateful for the support I've had from the city, my friends, family and teammates. Without them, I would not be where I am today and I thank all of you personally. San Diego has been a huge part of that and I can't thank them enough. I'll be keeping an eye on San Diego while I'm in Prague.

As I sit here, writing out this blog. I can't help but feel grateful for al lthe opportunities that I've had in my life. I know that I've worked hard to get where I am but I'm also ready to acknowledge that I've been blessed with lots of luck. I'm grateful to play this game and I can't wait to see where this journey will take me. This is the best occupation I could've ever asked for. 

Until next time,

Olivier