Shubham Anand Considers His Future

Will3

I have enjoyed my first season as a consistent contributer on the San Diego Marlins. But the VHL in all of its forms moves quickly and the time to consider where you want to be tomorrow is always today. As a waiver signing, I will be available in all three of the S89 drafts. I will take a moment to go over the teams I would to play for both in the near and distant future to producea picture of what  I want my hockey journey to look like 

Focusing on the far horizon, I will first consider my options for the big boy clubs. The first VHL team I am interested in is the Las Angeles Stars. Many of us San Diego waiver players have managed to sneak up the coast in our free time to catch some Stars games. We have been impressed with what the Stars have been able to do this season. The Stars' GM has clearly built a team set to contend for the the next couple of years. California has been good to me. It would mean a lot to me to continue to play in and for this place. Another team I would like to play VHL hockey for is London United. I have never let old feuds effect my decision making. I have played with a couple of Brits and they have showed me nothing but love and support. I have faith that the fans, management, and players of London United would support this player from a former colony. It also helps that they have been set up as contender in their division with the GM making one seismic move after another to make it so. I think I would fit in nicely in London. Last point, I have no clue where Riga, Malmo, and Davos even are.

Moving back to a couple of seasons away, it is time to explore my options in the VHLE. I haven't been able to pay much attention to the VHLE this season, but I do have teams I am interested in. One of those teams is the  Istanbul Red Wolves for a couple of reasons. I believe that this untraditional hockey market would do more that welcome an untraditional player who is closer to them than most average players on the ice. It is also the only city in all of the VHL with a reasonable flight time back to India of about 6 hours. This means not only that I might get some time at home, but I also might even get some of my family and friends over for home games on a semi regular basis. On paper, Istanbul is the perfect place to continue my hockey career. I am also considering the Bratislava Watchmen as a team to play for. Will, the ex-player who mentored and inspired me to join the VHL system played for Bratislava long time ago. He loved everything about playing for the Watchmen. The team, the management, and the city, all was clearly enjoyed. I would love to go that place he talked so much about and maybe it will all click for me as it did for him. This being the VHLE, I will probably be playing somewhere in cold Scandinavia.

The time has come to review the VHLM and elaborate on the opportunities open to me for next season. If it were possible I would like to stay in San Diego. The climate is great, the citizens are nice, and the hockey club is good. The city has become a second home to me and it will be sad to leave. If I do have to leave, I would rather go to Mexico City or Miami. Any of the warmer cities would be better for me that than the northern cities as I haven't fully adjusted to the bitter cold winters yet. I don't feel safe in Texas and Vegas just doesn't fit my personally, so that leaves Mexico City and Miami as my best options for next year.

The VHL moves quickly. Things don't always work out the way you want. You have to accept the opportunity that are given to you and I am more than willing to take what the leagues give me. This is just a collection of my thoughts for whatever it is worth to any of the GMs out there. I am committed to my hockey first and I will remain committed no matter what happens. That is all I have to say. Goodbye.

m1yJkM2_d.webp

Edited by Will3

Review:

Good article discussing where you would potentially want to play in the VHL along with your other upcoming career choices. I don't follow the M or E as much so it's great to see perspective from the players playing in those leagues and their future aspirations. Some improvements for this article would be to add a picture to the article to help it stand out. Length is good, 250 more words and you could have a claim for next week as well ;). Overall good article. 8/10