My Cloud Storage Reminded Me Of Something I Made On This Day Six Years Ago And It Reminds Me How Far We've Come

MubbleFubbles

vsf3zdM.png

For a little context into why or in fact how this shocking piece of bullshit was created, here's a couple of paragraphs of context that I posted at the time (these players were created at the Season 54 Trade Deadline):

For those of you who aren’t aware of what I’m talking about; I created Aackckqz Ky on Wednesday 3rd May, it is now Wednesday 10th May and for god knows what reason, I’m still not on a VHLM roster, nor have I featured in any VHLM sim since Ky was created. Not only that, I had to wait over four days until I finally received an offer after it appears that the GMs awoke from a slumber after it was made evidently clear that no VHLM player should be waiting four fucking days for a VHLM offer. So, on top of that, I agreed to join a team on Sunday, and it is now Wednesday and for god knows what reason, I’m still not in the fucking sim! It’s at this really bizarre point where I feel like for it to have ended up like this, I must have done something wrong, yet at the same time know that I absolutely haven’t!

Now honestly, if it was just me that was the issue, I wouldn’t even be making this Thunderdome thread, I might make reference to it in a media or a VHL.com article or something of that nature. But the problem is that it isn’t just me that is having these problems with the VHL, it’s actually several people that are having these same problems finding teams, whether that’s because they weren’t offered for by GM’s until ages later either or not ending up in the sim. I could just list them, but fuck it, here’s a Venn Diagram!

--

So when you compare that situation to now, it's pretty crazy just how far we've come as a league. 

- Gone from a point where new creates weren't getting offers for four days (admittedly a four day wait was rare, but even at it's best was nowhere near the level of efficiency of the last 20-25 seasons) to a point where a new create can find a new team immediately through portal waivers, although even before those were implemented, VHLM GM's were doing a terrific job of getting offers in for players ASAP.

- I forget how exactly players get into the sim after they are created (think they are added to STHS but have to be manually added to teams), but it's WAY more automated than it used to be, as back in the day the player had to be manually created in the STHS engine to put them in the sim.

- During this period, there were only 5 VHLM teams and 10 (although under half of them were properly filled) VHL teams. We're now at the point where we have double the VHLM teams, six more VHL teams and an entire new league in the VHLE. 

- Five players might not seem like a lot, but at that point, you're talking around 25% of a draft class. Now, drafts consistently get over 100 players and actives are frequently drafted in the second and third round, sometimes even in the fourth and fifth rounds as well.

So yeah, crazy.

Edited by MubbleFubbles

• Commissioner
4 hours ago, MubbleFubbles said:

I forget how exactly players get into the sim after they are created (think they are added to STHS but have to be manually added to teams), but it's WAY more automated than it used to be, as back in the day the player had to be manually created in the STHS engine to put them in the sim.

You are correct that we have to manually add players to teams but they are created for us now when their update function is run. That on its own is an even crazier godsend, I’m sure you also remember the days of getting 1-2 sim updates per season. As an extra convenience the manual step is also only relevant during the season. For the initial sim it’s mostly automated to just assign the players to the teams they belong. Bots are a bit of a pain but even that doesn’t take long.