Humbled by the Respect of my Peers

Otis Boudreaux Jr

The toughest part of being a 16 year old kid in a hockey league so far away from home is trying to stay true to who I am. I left Galway with big stars in my eyes. I wanted to spend my time in the VHLM and come home with a championship medal to show off around the whole country of Ireland. I felt like that all I had to do was get on the ice and the team would be that much better. But the reality was so much different. 

I was so excited to be selected with the 1st selection of the 3rd round of the VHLM draft. I packed my stuff and headed to Saskatoon. But when I got there I found a bunch of guys like me. Guys who were just starting in their careers and we all would face hours of hard work, trying to get just that much better, trying to make ourselves into the best players we could be. It wasnt for everyone though as some went home and we tried to fill the roster with new people who had found their ways to the league. The season in Saskatoon was not one to shout about. But we did the best we could and worked hard every week. But at the end, it was just all of us hoping the season would end soon so we could get to the off-season. I ended the season with 73 points, 34 goals and 39 assists. But that wasnt enough to get us over the line.

I headed home, but was then invited to the Junior Showcase Tournament where I was the 16th selection, going to the Royals. I once again hit the ice, trying to get that little bit better. Long hours on the ice, longer hours watching the film of the guys on the other teams. The same cycle as before, but this time, maybe this time, we might just win something. 

After another long day and with everything hurting, I walked into the locker room to the announcement that I had been voted as the Royals Team Captain. At first, I thought it was all a joke. I was waiting for someone to jump out and say "Surprise! We got you!" But then the Head Coach walked in, extended his hand and congratulated me. It was true! My teammates had voted me their Captain. What does that mean? What am I supposed to do? 

Then it hit me, I just keep doing what I have been doing. My hard work, my positive attitude, my desire to give everything trying to get better, my hope that I can help my teammates gain that little edge so we can win games...that is all I have to do. 

My teammates honored me by voting me as their Captain. It is an honor that I dont take on lightly and I hope that I can do what they expect me to do and lead them to the championship. No matter what, we are going to have fun, because at the end of the day...isnt that what it is all about?

Word Count: 523

Week Claimed: 28 May 2023