Keeping It All In Context

:hou::sdm::vas::hel::dav::sea:

Booberried

Xavier Booberry had kind of a weird career, honestly. A lot of stops, starts and unfinished business. He was picked first overall by a barren Helsinki team, but one that had a lot of high picks and was really building something for my first four seasons. There was hope and a second place EU finish... then Rayz disappeared at the worst possible time and the team fell apart. So it was on to Davos, which had its own bright future with a lot of young talent. There was playoff success and a finals appearance in S87 to build on... then Booberry was kicked to the curb as a cap casualty with one season left. So it was on to Seattle for the final season. And it was a good season, even with losing in the finals... but of course there's no opportunity to get revenge next season.

It's easy to call Booberry's story one of unfulfillment. And my knee-jerk reaction can be a bit of disappointment by how it all went down. But then, I look again at what my initial plan was for Booberry and how I stacked up.

And I realize - perhaps a bit conceitedly - that I've had the titles and awards before. What I wanted with Booberry was new experiences, and those experiences I've had in spades.

First, I wanted to stress test what at the time was the brand new nine season careers. I think I managed that quite well: 2102 TPE as of this writing, and I'd venture to guess that Booberry's 1427 TPA to end the season is as well. Even if Spartan/whoever passes me, I'm not concerned - I wanted to see what could happen with a nine season career and insane TPE totals, and in damn near getting 99's across the board in the important attributes, I accomplished that quite well.

Second, I had been pushing for the return of Vasteras since the team went away in the early '40s. I also wanted to prove myself in the league that I hadn't done anything in (because it had never existed): the VHLE. To not only be drafted to Vasteras, but to win the title in the inaugural VHLE season, very sincerely does mean more to me than a VHL title would have. It's unique and a cool story, and I'm happy I got to experience it.

So in the end, I consider Booberry's story a successful one. There were ups and downs, to be certain, but what I really wanted out of Booberry's experience was something different from my past VHL players. And I certainly accomplished that, both the good and the bad. Thanks to all who made the experience what it was.

With that in mind, there isn't too much more I think I want out of the VHL. Really, there's only one thing I can foresee right now. For someone around in the early days of sim leagues, where making it three seasons was an accomplishment to be lauded, seeing the VHL go 100 seasons and inching close to 20 real life years would be insane. So, I won't be around for a few seasons, but don't be shocked if I pop back up in the mid 90s to make a player in their prime for S100. It's a cool milestone, one that people should be proud of, and I'd be excited to see what the next era brings.