a tale of two Brothers // repeat Continental Cup winner

Daniel Janser

Bild

Graphic courtesy of Leandrofg

(Marcel's stats/Daniel's stats)

The London United did it. They got the stigma of not being a playoff team out of their system. Despite a 3-1 deficit in the series they did the unthinkable and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat. Of course, such a feat is always a combined effort. However, we think that few will object, when we state that netminder Jesse Teno was dragging their squad screaming and kicking across the goal line. The US-native has already more than double the playoff games than any other goalkeeper in London's (admittedly short) history. A mind boggling .949 save rate and allowing less than two goals per game, gave the Londoners a fighting chance every night.

Obviously, the offensive giants in the former Stoltzschweiger-awardee Molly the Cat (who once and for all dispelled the rumours that he is only in the team by way of nepotism), Siyan Yasilievich, the S87 Beketov winner, who started scoring goals just when his team needed them the most and Igor Ivan Retoslav were also a driving force to the franchise's post-season success.

Igor Molotov, Hari Singh Nalwa in his swan song and 3D-artist Leonard Triller provided crucial secondary scoring. The former Mississauga Hound Hunor Solyom, former Wranglers prospect Adam Rage, left winger Sock Monkey and last but not least veteran defender, erstwhile Wrangler and repeat cup winner Marcel Janser were more concerned with the defensive aspects of the game.

Especially the latter showed a very balanced mix of grit (36 hits), discipline (only 24 PIM) as well as sacrifice (35sb) and brought cool-headed defensive play to the cup-winning table.

While Marcel is enjoying his well deserved triumph, Daniel is preparing for the ProAM Tournament where he will dress for the Bangor Beavers, together with freshly-made champions Molotov and Rage, ex-Wranglers Reinhart, his team mate Abbas, seasoned defender Greg, forwards Cooke, Walker Jr and Toms as well as back Yvel. The post between the pipes is occupied by future Wrangler starting goaltender Dilson.

When asked, why he always participates in the off-season tournament, Janser said: 'It is fun to play in a team consisting out of VHLM, VHLE and VHL players and even retired oldtimers. It has an interesting mix of fun tournament and competitiveness. And you get to know more players you normally would not get in such close contact with.'

As the World Cup is also due during this offseason, we asked the Swiss prodigy, whether he will dress for Europe once more and help to defend the title. Said Janser: 'It is of course always an honour to be nominated for such an elite squad and it would be nice to get a last hurrah on the international level. However, I have not heard from the GM yet, and there are talented and younger players out there, who also deserved the opportunity to show their skills on a World Cup. If the staff are of the opinion that they need me, or that I can contribute to the teams success, I am more than willing to heed the call. Should I not be nominated, it is not a biggie. I have achieved more than I ever dreamt of and have no problem to let it go at the backend of my career. More time to spend with my family I guess. So, you see, however you turn it, I can only win.'

Here are the final post season stats for the Rotkreuz natives:

Marcel: 23gp, 4g, 6a, 10pts, +2, 24 PIM, 36 hits, 35sb, 4ppg

Daniel: 11gp, 4g, 7a, 11pts, +4, 14 PIM, 24 hits, 7sb, 57.78FO%

Stay tuned for further updates on our trophy-collecting hockey exports in our next edition.

https://vhlforum.com/topic/136120-a-tale-of-two-brothers-second-round-achieved/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/136133-a-tale-of-two-brothers-london-goes-davos/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/136259-a-tale-of-two-brothers-half-done/

https://vhlforum.com/topic/136282-a-tale-of-two-brothers-one-step-away/

Article Review, another great article about the Janser Brothers.  Marcel had a fantastic season this year in London with it being topped off by another VHL championship.  Daniel seems to get more recognition for being a high offense forward but Marcel is as steady on defense as there can be.  He makes everyone else around him better and makes the tough job of keeping pucks away from the net seem like an easy task.  It should be interesting to watch the Janser Brothers over the offseason and into Season 89.

Great article, 9/10 keep it up