Rookie Eligibility rule

There should be something in the rule book regarding rookie eligibility.

And in my opinion, rookie eligibility should be lost after a player's first season in the VHL regardless of how many games they played, but the league has been heavily favoring goalies with all the recent changes so I doubt that's the decision that would be made.

• Commissioner

We haven’t been heavily favouring goalies, they have just needed less tweaking. As for the actual suggestion, in my opinion since most goalies start as backups these days it doesn’t really seem fair to strip them of rookie status based off 8 games.

16 minutes ago, Beketov said:

We haven’t been heavily favouring goalies, they have just needed less tweaking. As for the actual suggestion, in my opinion since most goalies start as backups these days it doesn’t really seem fair to strip them of rookie status based off 8 games.

Hybrid attributes and the new depreciation rates make it harder to build a skater. Goalies have been completely unaffected by all that.

Okay, and what about 16 games? Is that still a rookie? 24? Whatever it is, it should be in the rule book, and not just discussed and decided in a thread so that it doesn't have to be brought up again 3 years later.

8 hours ago, scoop said:

Hybrid attributes and the new depreciation rates make it harder to build a skater. Goalies have been completely unaffected by all that.

Okay, and what about 16 games? Is that still a rookie? 24? Whatever it is, it should be in the rule book, and not just discussed and decided in a thread so that it doesn't have to be brought up again 3 years later.

I mean, it's fair to say that rookie goalies have a huge advantage, in theory a third year player in the VHL could be a rookie. Personally I'd say goalies should lose rookie status in whatever season they pass 35 career games played. If that comes from 4 seasons with 10 GPs then so be it. 

• Commissioner
10 hours ago, scoop said:

They have been unaffected yes but not because of favouritism; because they weren’t broken and have been getting the shot end of the stick for years as broken skater builds have dominated. If goalies become too dominant we’ll look at it but scoring hasn’t been completely crippled by the changes by any stretch and throwing them onto goalies will just force things make to the Meta-age of goalies not standing a chance.

10 hours ago, scoop said:

This is fair, especially since I don’t even recall the number. I’m not gonna pretend we’re amazing at updating the rule book and this specifically wasn’t even announced it was just decided. If I recall the answer is 16 games is the line but I could be wrong. I was just stating that eligibility shouldn’t be lost after 1 season IMO when most first seasons are 8 games.