The Struggles of Being a AGM In A Few Words

Will3

I have been the AGM of the Halifax 21st for a little over a week. @ShawnGlade handles most of the player personal decisions, leaving me with the locker room and other day to day operations and other typical responsibilities of an AGM. I like my position. Yet there is a problem that even captin of the team has brought up. Recruitment. I have been able to bring in only one new player and he hasn't been active. I try to do what I can and say hi to every new player that comes in but the new players have been slow comming in and they seemingly always choose either Houston or Miami. Most players only choose one offer and accept it quickly. I was the same way. Perhaps we should force new players to listen to at least three pitches before choose a waiver team. Perhaps I am missing something that I can be doing. Perhaps my captain is right and I am just bad at my job. I see now how this resulted in people leaving their positions. I have no clue what to do and any suggestions on the matter would be helpful. That is how I  feel about my position right now.

5 minutes ago, Will3 said:

I have been the AGM of the Halifax 21st for a little over a week. @ShawnGlade handles most of the player personal decisions, leaving me with the locker room and other day to day operations and other typical responsibilities of an AGM. I like my position. Yet there is a problem that even captin of the team has brought up. Recruitment. I have been able to bring in only one new player and he hasn't been active. I try to do what I can and say hi to every new player that comes in but the new players have been slow comming in and they seemingly always choose either Houston or Miami. Most players only choose one offer and accept it quickly. I was the same way. Perhaps we should force new players to listen to at least three pitches before choose a waiver team. Perhaps I am missing something that I can be doing. Perhaps my captain is right and I am just bad at my job. I see now how this resulted in people leaving their positions. I have no clue what to do and any suggestions on the matter would be helpful. That is how I  feel about my position right now.

Join halifax free bigmac or wopper

13 minutes ago, Will3 said:

Every team already has a pitch you can read before you choose a team in the team choice window.  It is up to the user to check it out.  It is intended that a new user only selects the one team they want to join so that team then offers them a contract right away.  Some people click multiple teams but that isn't how it should go.  A lot of re-creates as well already have connections to other teams so they know who they want to join before even retiring.  Lots of reason why people pick a certain team over another but without asking all the new players why, we won't really know.

3 hours ago, Will3 said:

I have been the AGM of the Halifax 21st for a little over a week.

I think this potentially explains a few things.

We've had four players create over the past week, so "only one" in that time is actually above average and says nothing about anyone's ability to draw in new players. I'm not saying that we've never seen complaints about recruitment (and I'm also not saying that we've never seen legitimate complaints about recruitment), but I'm not sure this specific one is one of them. I'd love to do an analysis at some point on whether it's really true that players "always choose either Houston or Miami" or any others--I've seen people saying "everyone goes to Team X" before, and at exactly the same times as people from Team X saying everyone ends up on Team Y.

Whether there are even players available to sign depends on a few things--after the draft, during recruitment drives, and at trade deadlines, yeah, you can expect more players to create and you should be on the lookout for new signings more so than other times. I think with more experience you'll gain more of an understanding of what's normal.

One legitimate complaint about the current state of waivers is that GMs have certainly lost an element of control over signings. I do prefer the current system over the old one for multiple reasons, but it's not like I'll never admit that's a negative. I think because of this, some (particularly on the more active end) believe that they could draw in more signings by doing everything themselves and tend to blame the system for it not working out that way. So, I'd encourage you and others to take advantage of the parts of the process you do have control over. I don't police what's in waiver pitches, but I've seen some good ones and some pretty low-effort ones. Make sure yours is written in a way that would make you want to pick your team above all others, and if it's not, changing it so that it is will probably make some level of difference. Also--in much the same way that old waivers could be signed by active GMs who could immediately make offers, I'll note the importance of being on to immediately connect with the signings that you do get. I'd bet that there's more of a success rate associated with this, even if it offers no advantage in numbers.

12 hours ago, Gustav said:

I don't police what's in waiver pitches, but I've seen some good ones and some pretty low-effort ones. Make sure yours is written in a way that would make you want to pick your team above all others, and if it's not, changing it so that it is will probably make some level of difference

In that direction a little tip from me: When I took over the Hounds and I knew I had to rely on waivers to get an even half-way decent roster together, I asked one of the members to make me an appealing graphic in the hope that this would seperate the Hounds' pitch from the mass (and I had quite a success with that). So if you are good with graphics (or know somebody who is and willing to help out), this could be a route to be taken to increase the waiver pitch success rate.

11 hours ago, Daniel Janser said:

In that direction a little tip from me: When I took over the Hounds and I knew I had to rely on waivers to get an even half-way decent roster together, I asked one of the members to make me an appealing graphic in the hope that this would seperate the Hounds' pitch from the mass (and I had quite a success with that). So if you are good with graphics (or know somebody who is and willing to help out), this could be a route to be taken to increase the waiver pitch success rate.

Unfortunately the new waiver system does not allow for graphics in the pitch.

7 hours ago, BOOM said:

You've been an AGM a week? Congratulations, you have lasted 4 days longer than I did! 

Damn son, @leandrofg  article suggested that you are a VHLM AGM legend (which admittedly can be true for a stint of only three days) ;)

1 hour ago, Daniel Janser said:

Damn son, @leandrofg  article suggested that you are a VHLM AGM legend (which admittedly can be true for a stint of only three days) ;)

I can confirm that BOOM's VHLM tenure(s) as AGM have lasted more than three days. At least in Vasteras/Moscow. 😂